i

The day began with a groan, a moan, and a sigh as I rolled over onto my other side. Double potions, I thought, absolutely fabulous. It was the worst possible outcome for any Friday, spending two long groanings, moaning, sighing hours with Professor Snape as he was stuck with a class of 5th years who had finished their potions owl, yet still, was reluctant not to teach the class the subject he loved so much.

I was the last one up. It didn't take me the longest to get ready, and I would have instead of been rushed than to get prepared with the rest of my roommates.

It was easier to slip your clothes on and brush your hair quickly. Simply more efficient to begin your daily routine than doing the same with the judgemental glares of teenage girls in the early hours. I threw on my robes, grabbing a croissant as I walked by the kitchen, greeting each one of the house-elves with a "Good morning" and a "How are you". If I didn't I would have felt the guilt of always eating with them in the kitchen, the only thing I could ever do to show my thanks was to treat them as I would anyone else and I could tell through the bright gleams on their faces every morning that I was doing well.

This morning was an exception to the rest as I was ready miraculously early. Looking down at my wristwatch, I realised it was far too soon to head to potions. And Professor Snape wasn't exactly my go-to teacher to enjoy a pre-class conversation.

So I took the route outside and enjoyed a walk in the early summer. A new wind whistled softly, and the Scottish breeze brought a chill that fought with the heat of the sun's glaze. The lake brought gems to the surface that sparkled into my eyes from a distance. The forbidden forest loomed, even on days as beautiful as this I couldn't help but shiver at its presence.

But it was too blissful of a day to dwell on the darkness, as the forbidden forest was simply necessary to such a landscape, and perhaps I needed it as a reminder that beauty can't compromise to be all good. Things full of grace and evil aren't nonexistent.

I walked with feelings of great joy, of pure ecstasy of such a day, quite the morning. Nature had enveloped me and began the day with the highest of highs, at the top of the mountain. But this could only mean I had to come down.

Returning to the school, I fell into a smaller boy. He was younger as his figure was one of a boy who was simply approaching puberty. Hair of pure white, his eyes pierced silver, his skin pale and deathly. "Filthy Mudblood," he muttered, as he picked himself up, brushing himself off and scowling at me.

This still affected me, making me brim with hatred at the cold-hearted Slytherin opposite me. Instead, I just sighed, attempting to walk past and ignore him.

He didn't let me go that easily. "Hey Muggie, what's that?" he chuckled sourly, as I turned back around and saw he was pointing right at me, right at the book I held close to my chest - a muggle studies textbook. His words were spat bitterly, "Why does a Mudblood like you need to take muggle studies? You should be the one teaching!"

This was followed quickly by giggles and sniggers from his gang, and an arrogant sneer from the boy himself.

It is so tempting to retaliate, to snap back. But I pull myself together, appearing unbothered and turning back to walk away.

"Making your run Muggie?"

I rolled my eyes, shouting back at the boy while I walked away "clearly the grease from your hair has got into your eyes, Malfoy!"

He scowled, and I gained a couple of snickers from students walking by.

However, I had been so distracted from my walk I had turned up late to class after all, which I only discovered when I entered the room, and everyone else was already sat down.