Chapter 84

Khloe's POV:

I woke up exactly where I should have, wrapped in Nico's arms.

Well, I don't think Nico would consider this being wrapped in his arms.

He was very upset last night that the wounds on my back prevented him from being able to hold me like he usually did, but he eventually settled with his hand on my lower back.

I for one didn't care either way, as long as I was touching him in some way I was happy.

I opened my eyes to scan the room, noticing that it was a lot darker than it usually was whenever I woke up.

Nico's slow and steady breaths were the next thing that caught my attention.

He was still fast asleep, which was odd because I rarely ever woke up before him.

It must have been early then.

I carefully pushed myself up with my elbow, allowing me to glance at the amount of sunlight coming through the window and confirming my suspicion.

The sun was only just beginning to rise.

I turned my head to look at Nico.

He said that he needed to get up early today to make preparations for our departure, but he never specified how early.

I just sat there for a moment, admiring him like this.

How peaceful he looked and how he somehow managed to look beyond attractive even while asleep.

A few strands of his hair hung in front of his face, waving ever so slightly with each breath that he took.

I gently laid myself back down, scooting myself up a bit so we were face to face.

His grip on me tightened as I did, but he didn't wake up.

I continued to just look at him for a few seconds, basking in this peaceful moment.

After everything that's happened between us before this and everything that is about to come, I don't know, I guess this moment right here was something to savor.

I lightly reached out to him, tracing my fingers across his head and face to tuck away those stray strands of hair.

It was at that moment that I realized that I had never felt his hair before.

It was soft.

Really soft.

Soft enough to make me run my fingers through his hair without a second thought and then again, and then again.

Doing it was oddly calming and satisfying, untangling the small knots that had formed overnight mixed with the feeling of his hair between my fingers.

A low noise rumbled deep in Nico's throat, snapping me out of whatever daze I was in.

I paused as he did, worrying that I had woken him up.

But that worry faded away as Nico shifted his entire body, scooting down so that his head was under my chin.

I just stayed still like both of his hands locked with each other where he had been holding me before pulling me ever closer to him.

All while keeping his eyes closed.

I glanced down at my hands that were still tangled in his hair, trying to ignore the sensations that his breaths on my neck were causing.

This new position was certainly... new, but I'm not complaining.

I continued to slowly drag my fingers through his hair, figuring that his sudden position switch meant that he liked it, whether he was fully conscious or not.