iii

chapter three - rewritten

Platform 9 and 3/4 I read in a sign in front of me, as I spot the Hogwarts express pulled up. The platform was empty as I arrived early, as I always liked to. This way, I could get the furthest carriage from the door and guarantee it for myself. These times were the worst; the times were most people would have friends to meet with and catch up. Whereas, me, I was alone.

I take the cabin where I can look out at the platform, peer on all of my peers as they arrive. I try and guess which house I believe the first years will be in, then remember their faces and count how many I guess successfully at the feast. This year, though, I can't help but find my eyes yearn for Cedric Diggory within the crowd, attempting to see those sweet grey eyes again.

Yet, we set off, no sign of Cedric. Maybe he was early like me? Or did he miss the train, he would be well damned if he missed the train. I stare out at the scene of parents, frantically waving goodbye to their children. Perhaps it's not the best scene for me, lacking in parents that I know of myself. But still, sometimes I imagine one of the parents is mine.

As we set off, I see raindrops begin to fall onto the outside of the train, as soft rain starts in the countryside. The scene itself is incredibly beautiful, and my rain begins to fall down my cheek.

"You alright?" I immediately soak up my tears as I hear someone speak into my cabin. Cedric Diggory is standing in the doorway of my cabin.

I sniff, "Of course, i-i'm just admiring the r-rain." I smile; he stares at me with disbelief.

"I don't believe you."

"Shouldn't you be doing your Prefect duty?" I point out, naturally avoiding his attempt to dig in. He sits down and shuts the cabin door.

"Sprout let me off, I arrived early so." he shrugged.

"Do you not want to sit with your friends?" I questioned, mindlessly trying to get him away - I didn't know why. I guess it was so unusual for me to have a friend.

"Come on Elise, I thought you said you didn't dislike me!" he points out, clearly feeling like I didn't want him there, except I did.

"No, sorry, I'm just awkward." I broke eye-contact, "I don't usually have company."

"Miserable weather," he comments, trying to change the subject for the good of me, sensing how I felt.

I shrugged, "I don't know. I mean, I quite like the rain." Cedric gave me an odd look, "The rain feeds all things good - flowers, plants and such. It creates rainbows. Oh, and you have the best kisses in the rain." I smile to myself, softly, replaying fantasies in my head.

"So you've kissed in the rain?" Cedric looks up, grinning to himself devilishly.

I lie. "Yeah," relaxing my shoulders, trying to seem as honest as a liar can.

"I'm all ears." Cedric winks - can he see through me?

I attempt to fumble together the best lie I can quickly, "Well after my third year, I arrived home, and a new guy had just moved next door. He was insanely attractive," I flex, Cedric chuckles, "definitely had abs," Cedric laughed again, "and he was really into me."

"Really?" he flirtatiously grins.

"Oh, very much so." I wink, "And one day my parents were out and wanted me to clean their car, and fortunately it was beginning to rain, so I grabbed a sponge and soap and began to clean the car. He saw how weird I was being and came over to help."

I find myself somewhat drifting into thought, into this perfect life, I had put myself into with parents and neighbours. "Go on," Cedric urged, bringing me back into the carriage.