13

To: tasomaki7266@gmail.com

"SUCCESS! SUCCESS! SUCCESS!" is what I scream in my head. It's 5:44 in the morning and I'm jittery and happy, I'm ball of energy and I haven't slept a wink! I am on cloud nine.

I wish every life decision could be as easy as the one I made last night.

But if every life decision being easy meant that last night wouldn't have happened, then I would only want that one decision to be easy. Does that make sense?

I want to jump in the bed and wake you up and just enjoy your company until you leav-

"Did you sleep?" Ashton's groggy voice sounded. I smiled, shutting my laptop. We only had a few minutes until he left and I was going to enjoy every second of them.

"No, I had some stuff to do." Ashton sighed at my response, pulling the laptop from my grasp and setting it on the nightstand on his side.

"You need to sleep, T." Ashton pulled me into him and draped a leg over both of mine.

"I'll be fine." I giggled into his chest as he playfully squeezed me.

"I don't want to leave you." Ashton murmured against my hair. "Can we just runaway? Take the kids with us? No one would have to know where we are."

I shut my eyes, lying in the silence.

"We could be a family; you, me, and the kids." He wrapped his arms around me tighter. "It's the perfect daydream."

We lied in the scene of our little bubble that was somewhere between solace and familiarity, not speaking, only listening to our heartbeats come to unison like they did before. A feeling of complete bliss and peace washed over me even though this wasn't permanent. Even though this wasn't long-lasting, Ashton was still the only person I could involuntarily feel comfortable around even if we'd gone years without speaking. Those were the people that needed to be held on to.

"We should get up." Ashton kissed my cheek and squeezed my side as he sat up.

-

Our goodbye was the hardest thing. We both shed a few tears, laughed, made fun of each other all because we didn't know when we'd see each other again. We used a lifetime of happiness within five minutes just to part on content terms.

20 minutes after Ashton left, the only person I had no appeal to see showed up, clutching to his numerous bags. I'd greeted Dick by casually stepping aside and letting him into the apartment. He dropped his bags in the living room before pacing to the kitchen and grabbing a water bottle from the fridge.

"What's that shirt you're wearing?" Dick pointed to Ashton's shirt before downing some water.

"Oh," I looked down at the shirt. I forgot to change. Shit. "It's a shirt that Xander gave me a long time ago. It didn't fit him..." Xander would sometimes hand down his old shirts to me, ones that didn't fit him after long hours in the gym.

"I'm going to the library in a few and then I'll be having lunch with some friends." Dick stated, changing the subject. "I will most likely have dinner with them as well."

Why did he even come back if he was already trying to leave? The fact that he appeared anxious to get out made it worse, but I tried not to think anything of it. He was Dick, no one that should exactly matter to me, so I found myself brushing off whatever shadiness was behind his words.

"Yeah, okay." I nodded. "I'm gonna get myself and the kids ready."

He pecked my lips, "Glad to be back."