Part 31

A couple of weeks passed and Jimin was starting to worry about y/n. She was having more and more nightmares, and more and more often he was having to wake her from them, not being able to successfully chase them away while she slept with his normal methods. Whenever he had to wake her from the nightmare she would sob in his arms and then sleep fitfully for the rest of the night, and neither of them were getting enough sleep these days. Whenever he asked her what she dreamed about she said she didn't know, and sometimes he felt like she might be hiding something, like she did remember the nightmare and just didn't want to tell him. He watched her worriedly as they worked at the bakery one morning, dark circles visible beneath her eyes.

The door tinkled and Hoseok came in. Jimin hurried to help him, waving y/n away as she continued cleaning out one of the display cases. She smiled at her friend tiredly, giving him a wave before returning to her task.

"Hobi hyungie, I need to talk to you," Jimin said in a soft voice as the other boy reached the register.

"What is it Chim?" He asked, cocking his head to the side. Jimin raised his finger to his lips, peering over his shoulder at y/n. He grabbed Hoseok's usual and ushered him to a table in the corner, sliding into the seat across from him.

"It's y/n," Jimin began, leaning towards the boy and speaking barely above a whisper. "She's had nightmares ever since I met her, but...they've been getting worse lately. She has them every night and I have to wake her up to stop them and she's not getting enough sleep - I'm worried about her hyung. I hate that I can't do anything for her, I feel so helpless," he said hanging his head.

Hoseok frowned, looking over at the back of y/n. "I didn't know she still had nightmares...I'll talk to her."

"What do you mean still?" Jimin asked, looking at the other intently.

Hoseok hesitated before shaking his head. "It's not my place to tell you. Let me talk to her, and I'm sure she'll tell you more whenever this...whatever this is passes. If you send her over here I'll talk to her right now."

Jimin frowned, wanting to ask more questions but knowing that once Hoseok decided he wasn't going to tell him anything it was pointless. He sighed and stood, heading toward her.

-

You worked mechanically, wiping down the case and forcing your thoughts to be silent, concentrating on keeping your eyes open. You felt a gentle tap on your shoulder and turned to see Jimin looking at you sweetly. You gave him a soft smile. Your poor kitty looked just as tired as you felt. You knew you had been keeping him up lately, and you felt terrible. You reached up and cupped his cheek, leaning in to kiss him softly. His eyes widened in surprise. You had forgotten you were at work and you didn't normally display that kind of affection in public.

"Sorry kitten," you whispered, blushing and dropping your hand.

"Don't be baby," he said, smiling and catching your hand between his, squeezing it gently. "Why don't you go sit with Hobi for a bit? I'll finish this." You nodded and headed over to sit with your friend.

"You look like shit," he greeted as you slid into the seat across from him. You scowled but didn't say anything, scrubbing your hands over your face. "Are you having nightmares again?" He asked in a low voice, looking at you intently. You hesitated before nodding, dropping your hands to your lap. He frowned. "Are they about him?"

You sighed, looking at your lap for a moment in silence before explaining everything to him. "They start out about something else, something small but scary, like..." you thought, trying to come up with an example of one of the nightmares you'd had recently. "Like I can't find Jimin or he gets hurt or something and then he shows up like he's just there to watch whatever bad thing is happening to me. And I can never see his face but I know it's him. Last night...the bakery was on fire. And I couldn't do anything about it, and I looked over and there he was, standing in the shadows holding a match," your voice broke and Hoseok's hand darted across the table to grip yours, his face a mask of worry.