11

I woke up to the sound of my alarm going off. An alarm I forgot to deactivate.

It was a sunny day, sunny and warm, which differed greatly with the throbbing pain coming from my head.

I remained seated on the edge of my bed for a while. My whole body felt numb, as well as my mind. It was as if it had been drained from every thought.

The events from last night were there, but they came as a faded dream. I tried, with fear, to decipher if it had just been a nightmare, but as much as I prayed for it, I knew deep inside what had happened. Everything.

Harry.

I recalled I felt asleep while he went downstairs so maybe I could still find him.

I jumped out of bed still feeling drowsy and made my way to the kitchen to get us coffee. The house was quiet and still.

I found him sound asleep in the couch. He was in a weird position which made me figure out he had fallen asleep due to the exhaustion. But despite the tiredness in his face he looked peaceful, which comforted me. Despite what had happened last night I knew Harry was a good person and I didn't wanted him suffering out of guilt.

I prepared the coffees and headed back to the living room.

As much as it pained me to wake him up after what had probably been the worst night of his life I still needed to know the plan, and Aunt Sheila was coming home at any minute. So I gently shook him.

I didn't startled him, but when he opened his eyes I could see he was alarmed.

"Hey" he said drowsy.

"Hey buddy, sorry to wake you up" I said handing him the coffee mug. "Did you sleep well?"

He nodded still half asleep.

We didn't say anything else for a few seconds while I was waiting for him to wake up completely.

"What a night, huh?" he looked at me half apologetic.

"A weird night."

We both chuckled but then his face turned serious.

"Look, Adam, I am so sorry for-"

"No" I interrupted. The fact is, I knew Harry, and I could read how bad he felt when he decided to make me a part of this, I knew this because that's what I would've felt. But he was my friend, he had made a mistake and I helped him. "Harry you don't need to-"

"Adam, please" he begged "You may not want to hear it but I still need to say it. I feel terrible for dragging you into this. You are my friend and I should've protected you but I was desperate and I needed you."

"I know." I smiled "And Harry, you've been there for me during the toughest moments of my life, and you never expected anything back. I never understood why you did that. But yesterday, when you asked me to help you with...that, I finally understood why, and it's because that's what friends do."

I felt my eyes sting with tears and I noticed Harry's turning glassy as well.

I swallowed hard.

"But enough with the sentimental stuff" I said smiling "What's the plan?"

Harry smiled as well. "The plan is you know nothing. You were never in this and you have no idea something happened."

"What?" What kind of plan was that?

"Look" he said, using his stern voice "I got my back covered. It'll be almost impossible for this to be tracked back to me, but, if it ever does, I don't want you in it. I'll say I acted alone."

I was dumfounded. I didn't know if that was the best option. I trusted him, but is not like he was an expert on the matter. He was playing, as always, the hero; but what if it didn't work out?

"Harry, maybe we should think of something. Together"

"I don't want you in this. Plus, you're a terrible liar, if someone ever suspects you were involved you won't be able to get out of it."