𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓

𝐍𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐌𝐁𝐄𝐑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓: the monster

CINDY HARRINGTON'S SPINDLY knuckles knocked tumultuously against the Wheeler's front door, a sigh emitting from the girl impatiently.

Dropping her hand from the door, the Harrington turned, looking around the cul de sac that the home sat on. A pang of sadness struck through the girl as her gaze fixed upon the power lines that lingered near the backside of the residence.

She wondered if Eleven had somehow found her way back to Mike's basement, if she was indeed waiting for her, nestled soundly in the small tent Mike had constructed for her on the night they had met.

It was a losing game that the girls played, constantly teetering on each other's trust.

Their trust within each other was crumpled, weathered, so frayed that it could barely hold itself together anymore.

But the broken girl still longed for the stranger she had met in the woods.

She needed her, yearned for her even when she wished she didn't.

"Cindy," A soothing voice called from behind her, and the girl turned quickly, a smile planting itself onto her face when she noticed Karen Wheeler standing at the now open door, "Please, come in."

Crossing into the abode, Cindy breathed in, warmth radiating through her small body at the concoction of smells that radiated from the kitchen.

"Smells amazing," Cindy spoke, smiling softly in Mrs. Wheeler's direction as she passed her, retaking her spot from behind the kitchen island.

"Thank you," The woman returned the smile, picking up a yellow plate from beside her and holding it in front of the youngest Harrington, "Here, have a cookie."

The girl's lanky fingers rose, taking a chocolate chip cookie from the plate and pointing it in the direction of her mouth, a soft moan leaving her lips as she bit into it.

A soft chuckle came from Mrs. Wheeler, who placed her hands on the island gently, hazel eyes scanning over the girl.

"How are you, with, well, everything that's been happening?" The woman's eyes were kind, welcoming, the eyes of a careful mother.

Cindy's face fell, anxiously picking at her fingernails. 

The girl was unsure of what to say.