19: Misery.

The following is in Ophelia's POV so you can skip it if you want.

There will be Melody's POV if you scroll down below.

But if you're eager for Ophelia's POV then enjoy reading.

*

OPHELIA SPROUSE

As Clair took Melody away, Jayden soon excused himself, making a lame excuse to use the bathroom.

I decided to let him off the hook and let him run away from me.

It was so much fun to tease the kids about their crushes.

Saying that made me feel old. I was only twenty six, I have my whole life ahead of me but the only problem was I was jobless and I was running out of money.

Bills were piling up and soon, I'd lose my apartment too. The time to pay the annual rent was near and my bank account was laughing at me.

I regret investing almost all my savings in the company I was working. But I would have never expected our boss to be indulged in some illegal marketing activities.
If only I had known.
No wonder, why the pay was good. Damn, I couldn't believe I'd be penniless soon.

The news of the company being sued for their indulgence in the illegal activities had negative impact not only on the employer but on the employees too.

No company was too eager to appoint us in their company because of trust issues as they think we were aware and were the complices of the illegal activities our boss was carrying out behind our backs despite our employer clearly stating we were not.

Humans and their trust issues.

Sometimes, i feel like i was the center of bad luck. Shit.

"Ophelia, come here." Hayden called me over. I made a face when I saw Jack was with her. I didn't bother to hide my dislike for the guy.

Hayden made sure to hide her face well from Jack as she gave me the Medusa look, thankfully I didn't turn to stone but her look made my legs move, against my will.

My mood was already sour thinking about my current financial state so I wasn't exactly please to face the jerk, so up close.

I'd make sure he pay me for the damage.

"Jack, this is my sister Ophelia." Hayden didn't waste time to introduce us formally. "Unfortunately." She added making Jack stifle a laugh.

"Gee, thanks sis." I hissed at her innocent smiling face.

"Hi Ophelia, I'm Jack Cole, I think you know that by now." With a charming smile he offered me his hand to shake. His one hand held a glass that had a light brown liquid in it, probably whisky.

When I didn't give him my hand, Hayden pushed the back of my elbow, as she motioned me with her glaring eyes to shake his hand.

Hayden was still a control freak, no wonder why she still scares me and even her children.

Unwilling, I plastered a smile and accepted his hand, giving his hand a firm shake.

Smiling smugly, Jack said. "Do you want an autograph? Maybe a selfie too?" His tone was filled with arrogance no trace of humbleness.

I was seconds away from hitting his face with my shoe. First, he broke my taillights and refused to pay for the damages, I wouldn't have really scared about the money if my  financial state wasn't as pathetic was it was now and every penny matters. Second, he still had the audacity to act like I was one of his fans.