Chapter 23

FLASHBACK

Screams were heard as the patient was rushed inside the operation theatre. Her labour pain was tremendous due to certain complications in her pregnancy. Her condition was getting worse and showed great chances of danger for both the mother and her child. "We will try our best ." Had said the doctor. An elderly couple stood outside helplessly looking at the agony of their loved one.

"Please save our children." Prayed Mrs. Wilson to God.

"Have faith honey. Our children are strong. They will get through this." Said Mr. Wilson.

"I hope so Donovan. I hope so." She said sobbing profusely. Her husband made her sit and tried to comfert.

"Hey what if it's a boy? What will we name him?" He said trying to divert her mind.

"Alexander. We can call him Alex for short."

"How about a girl?"

"I feel like it's going to be a boy."

"You can't be so sure. Don't you want a little princess jumping around the house?"

"Just like our daughter?"

"Just like our daughter. "

"W-where is she?" A voice said huffing and puffing due to the long run made to the hospital.

"She is inside. We freaked out when she suddenly screamed. Her water broke. The baby maybe a premature. "

"It's all my fault. I shouldn't have left her alone." She said with tears glistening in her eyes.

"No Ava. What could've you done?"

"I could've kept her happy. I could've made sure she isn't trying anything again just the way I've been doing these past months. "

She recalled the moments when she stopped the new mother from her suicidal tendencies. She recalled how there was a little bit improvement in state. She couldn't get off Caroline's depression completely but it was enough. She had started eating again. Laughed a few times. Planned a new future for the baby.

Suddenly the doors open and the cries of a baby was being heard. Ava and her family rushed to see. The nurse came out with a little bundle of joy in her hands.

"Congratulations it's a boy." She let them rejoice for a while where the family embraced each other. Ava was glad. Finally the child was born safely. But then the inevitable...

"Is Caroline okay?"

"Here she wanted you to be the first one to hold the baby." She handed the baby carefully to Ava. The baby had his eyes closed. To Ava he was the most precious thing she had ever hold. The baby blonde hair just like his mother. She has been waiting for this moment since such long. As much as she was happy for the baby to be alive, safe and sound in her arms the worry of Caroline was tormenting her.

"Did she ask for me?"

"Yes. She refused to see the baby without you."

The tears in Ava's finally shed as she shut her eyes and inhaled deeply. A hand on her shoulder gave a comforting squeeze.

"Go. We will be here." Said her mother.

She nodded and went along with the nurse with new born in her arms. There she was. Caroline. Lying on the hospital bed with several tubes attached to her body. She had turned more pale than she already was during her pregnancy.

Ava sat on the chair beside the bed and touched Caroline's arm. Her eyes fluttered open she gave Ava a weak smile. She tried to speak but couldn't because of her oxygen mask. A nurse came and removed the mask.

"Will she not suffer because of that? How will she breathe " The nurse didn't say anything. She looked down and went away.

"Ava"

"Yes Caroline. I'm here. Your little boy is here too."

"Oh I know. I know. I'm the mother after all. I can sense him."

"He is so beautiful Caroline. He's got your hair. Don't you want to hold your child."

"I can't Ava. Then it would be difficult for me to let go."

"What are you saying?"

"Listen to me sweetie. We both know that you are the better mother among the two of us."

"What!"

"I know I'm being selfish but I guess this is what destiny had in mind for us. Please take care of my son Ava. I will forever be in your debt. "

"Don't say that Caroline. Please. You and I both will take care of him. You're not going anywhere. "

"This is now inevitable sweetie. With all my depression during this pregnancy I thank you and the lord that I came this far. Thank you Ava for being with me all the time. Supporting me, caring for me, things that only family will do."

"You are family Caroline."

"Oh Ava. You are such a sweet girl and I believe you would be a great mother to this baby. You will love him more than I ever did. The day he calls his mother I would be at peace. I'm sorry that I'm giving you this responsibility but I'm helpless. Ahh"

"Caroline what's happening? Doctor? Somebody help her please."

"There's no need. It's time to let go. Thank you so much for everything. Farewell bestie"

There was a continuous beep sound in the room now. The monitor showed a straight line. She's gone.

Ava dropped to the chair. She couldn't believe that Caroline's gone. She shed tears for her best friend and new born baby whose mother died even before holding him. A hand on her shoulder broke her chain of thoughts. She looked up at her father who guided her out of the.

"She's gone Dad."

"I know sweetie. What did she say to you?"

"I'm going to fulfill her last wish dad. She saw the mother in me which I'm yet to become. She choose me and I will now be his mother."

"But you're still young Ava. How would you take up such a big responsibility?" Said her mother.

"I don't know that. What I do know is I won't let her down. I do my best and besides I have you guys with me. We can fight the world together. I just need your support. "

"You always have that sweetheart. " said her father as both the parents hugged their daughter.

"I'll get the papers ready"said her father.

"And I'll get you coffee. " She nodded and thanked both of them.

She adjusted little Alex on her shoulder where snuggled closer to her neck.

"It's just you and me now little one."