CHAPTER 44: A Dance To Remember

Vanessa's POV:
As the song changed, I gracefully turned around and slipped into the arms of my next dance partner, a man with distant blue eyes.

He had his gaurds up and was very stiff when he took my hand in his. It was as if he detested having any contact with me at all. I took in a deep breath, steeling myself because the next few minutes were not going to be easy.

As the music caught pace, I became more confident in my ability to survive through this but then Adrian slowly trailed his finger along my spine. My breath caught up in my throat as his touch set my entire body ablaze, as if ice had been thrown into a furnace.

Once we began taking steps with each other, he drew me closer. I was fixated. How could someone look so gorgeous? His name slipped from my lips but before it was too late, I controlled myself.

Of course he was handsome but he was also a handful. After what he said today morning, I was not going to give into such unwanted temptations. I said softly, but sternly," Don't push it."

"I am not doing anything."

"If you think this is going to work on me, you are wrong."

"Oh! Look at you.,"He leaned over to whisper in my ear, "It is already working."

"Oh really?Go ahead then. Try m..."

Adrian put a finger against my lips, saying, "You don't want to complete that sentence. You know I love a good challenge."

I swallowed a lump of air and firmly placed my hand on his chest, increasing the distance between us and saying,"Save these games for someone else. Right now, let's just get through this dance without any ch..."

My eyes trailed off into the distance and then I caught sight of a familiar face and my grip on Adrian's shoulder tightened.

"You alright?", Adrian asked and for a second, there was concern in his eyes but as he caught on to the fact that I could read his expression, he averted is gaze.

I decided not to think too much of it and instead quetioned, "Do you know Nate's here?"

He looked back at me and concern was long gone. His eyes were mocking me. He didn't reply to me. Instead he just smirked before changing the dance pose.

He turned me around, my back now facing him. He said, his lips grazing my ear, "I suggested Nate to be here."

"You're just saying that to get on my nerves. We fought today morning. It is impossible for him have gotten a ticket so fast or reach here on time."

"I have a private jet, remember?", He smirked as he leaned me to the left. I looked back at him in sheer disbelief. I thought I had seen the worst of Adrian Greys before, I was so wrong.

He suddenly turned me back around, taking me aback. "Hey! What are you doing?"

"Nothing. I just wanted a better look at the shock on your face."

He has no idea how strong my urge to punch him was, right in his perfect face.

"You are unbelievable. I have never met someone so condescending and spiteful.", I sneered.

"Technically Blake would be more spiteful and condescending. Afterall, he is twice the man I will ever be.", He quoted me, the words acid to his tongue.

Before I could reply to that, he spun me around, pushing me away. The song was over and so was my last non-professional conversation with him.

I didn't know when I would see him again and even after what he said or did, I didn't know why I still wanted to see him...again even if it was just to fight.