Chapter Seventeen

“Will that be all?”

The man nodded and paid for his order. I smiled, gave him his change and shut my counter. Mandy was whistling to herself as she cleared out her register. Once the man left, I followed him to the door, putting up the closed sign. I turned around hesitating a little.

“I’m guessing Xavier is taking you out tonight?”

“You bet.”

“Don’t be a stranger! Give me details!”

Mandy looked at me blankly, “Stranger? From all the rumours I’ve heard, you’re the only stranger here.”

I felt my stomach twist a little, “Mandy, you of all people would know I didn’t mean to-”

“Didn’t mean to make out with your boyfriend’s sister? Oh wait, was Julian even your boyfriend?”

“I’m not sure but-”

“If you were paid for that, I hope you were paid a hell of a lot.”

“Wait, what kind of rumour have you heard!?”

Mandy glared at me, “The only one? This was some kind of elaborate ruse that Hannah and you set up to get back at Julian for being such a player. John Tucker much?”

“There was a plan but-”

“OH SO IT’S TRUE? Wow, I didn’t think you, of all people would go this far.”

“Wait, Mandy, you need to-”

“I don’t know if I want to sit here and listen to this. I’m going to be late for my date.”

“Will you PLEASE stop cutting me off, every time I try to explain?”

Mandy pursed her lips and then motioned with her hands, for me to go on.

“Noam and I went to this party and-”

“WHY would you go to a party with Noam!?”

“Okay, that is it. Mandy, all you need to know is all of this was a mistake okay? I was drunk! I don’t know who cooked up this rumour but I do like Julian. I really do. I’ve always thought he was hot but over time, getting to know that goof has been one of the best things ever. I do NOT and will NEVER like Amy. Ever! I don’t know who sent everyone that picture but-”

“I did.”

I froze. “You were at that party? YOU took that picture? Why would you send it to me and everyone else?”

“Because you kept mumbling stuff about getting back at Julian..”