Chapter 40: "Recuperation"

"Yeah? What is it, Mr. Smith?" You asked, worry consuming your normal tone. You could sense the hesitance in the detective's demeanor, even through the phone. Your heart seemed to be beating 100 miles an hour and you clenched your fist as you hoped for somewhat okay news.

"It's about Austin." He paused, a sigh slowing down his next response. Now, Maia was eavesdropping in on the conversation and she sensed the growing tension, so she gently took your clenched fist and unwound it before you bruised yourself. After that, she gingerly took your hand in hers and gave it a gentle squeeze. "Take a deep breath, everything will be okay. It's not like the jerk murdered anyone." She spoke soothingly and you obeyed, taking in a deep breath, before exhaling slowly to calm your nerves.

"We managed to track down Austin's home, he wasn't there and his roommate had no idea what was going on, he just said he packed his stuff and bolted. He gave us his family's contact info though, so when we went to interview them, they gave us frightening news. He's done this before. He did this in his senior year of highschool to a fellow senior named Jazlyn Bell." Mr. Smith began to explain.

"He's done it before? Why wasn't he charged for it?!" You demanded to know and Mr. Smith clicked his tongue, letting out another sigh. "It didn't go as far as it did with you and the parents decided to not take it any further than a restraining order. They only reported the stalking and nothing more, so after police questioning he was let go without being charged." He explained, disappointment in his tone. "You can't be serious!" You exclaimed, your voice cracking with emotion. "I'm so sorry, (Y\N), I really am. I am making sure our men are looking for that wretched man as best as they can. We've let over 30 police stations within 200 miles know about this and we are planning on making sure you and Jazlyn get the justice you both deserve." Mr. Smith promised and you shook your head, holding in countless swears.

"His family and our taskforce have all teamed up. We will not let this douche slip through our hands again. He'll fall right into our trap. Just please, Miss (Y\N)... Promise me you won't lose hope. You need to stay strong." Mr. Smith told you softly and reluctantly, you sighed before letting out a simple, "Okay... I'm trying my best, Noah."

"Thank you, ma'am... Now have a good day, I will call you if any more news springs about. Goodbye." He spoke quietly. After a second, you finally felt you were able to respond, so you let out a solemn "Bye..." before promptly hanging up.

Immediately after the phone call, Maia helped you up. "Okay, no moping around. That's not gonna help this situation whatsoever." She spoke and you let out a groan in protest. "Can't I just go cry?" You asked and she grabbed her phone. "No. Hey, Siri! Play "What A Wonderful World" by Louis Armstrong." She spoke and after a few seconds, the classic song that you and your friends used to listen to together came on. You tried to hold back a smile, but failed and started grinning almost instantly once you heard the lyrics start. "Oh, heck, Maia. Can't I just mope without you ruining it?" You giggled and Maia chuckled. "So, do you want to get prettied up to surprise Papyrus?" She asked and despite your nausea still being in the sidelines, you grinned and nodded. "Sure. I wanna see his reaction." You replied and Maia winked. "Me too, now, let's begin~" Maia giggled as she grabbed your hand and ran you to your closet to pick out an outfit.

---------------------------------------------

After around an hour and a half, your entire getup was complete. But, it was done in a manner that you still remained true to yourself. Your hair was fixed up to complement your (h\t) and had product in it that upped the texture and waves, your makeup was done somewhat and you were dressed in a cute, but simple outfit. To be specific, a loose (s\f\c) long sleeve waffle-knit tee, a pair of medium-wash ripped skinny jeans, a simple black choker necklace and an old pair of black low top converse.