Ch. 26

I excuse myself from the table after announcing that we'd host them all for dinner tomorrow night and head to the bathroom. I take my phone from my purse and call my mom. What the hell did I just do? I feel like I was tricked and fell right into Alexia's well manicured hands. In reality it is all my fault, but I don't want to blame myself.

"Hello." I hear mom answer, bringing me back to earth.

"Mom, its me."

"Hey, hon." She replies, happily.

"I did something stupid." I tell her, wincing at the thought of having our small house bombarded by the Greco family and their oversized shoulders and long legs.

"What is it?" She asks, confused and a little alarmed.

I sigh. "I invited Alix's family to dinner tomorrow." I answer, feeling completely overwhelmed.

"Really? That's great! We'd love to meet them." She replies, cheerfully.

I groan, I knew she wouldn't mind. However, it does say more about my relationship with Alix than I want it to. I just told her Alix and I weren't serious. Now, I bringing his family home to meet mine.

"I don't even know how it happened! One minute I was talking about going shopping and the next I was inviting the whole table to dinner." I say, near panicking.

"Oh, it will be fine. Who else is coming? I need to know numbers." She replies, not at all worried.

I start counting off. "Me, Alix, Alexia, Cairo, Braxton and Charlie. So, six total."

"I think we'll have to do an outside dinner. I can have your dad help with that, we'll string the lights and make it really special. This is so exciting." She states, and I can hear the happiness in her voice. "Is there a special reason we're all getting together?" She asks, curiously. I can practically hear the hope in her voice.

"No, mom. Cairo and Alexia are leaving to go back to Greece and his mom mentioned wanting to meet you. It felt rude not to invite them." I tell her, honestly.

"I would love to meet them, too." She replies, politely. I mentally roll my eyes, this is where I get it. My politeness is definitely a result of my mom's parenting. I turn looking back on the table, my eyes land on Charlie and get a great idea.

"Alix's brother is getting married to a great girl named, Charlie. She's lost most of her family. Maybe we can make that a highlight? And do a party for them?" I ask, hesitantly. "Like a wedding shower?"

"She has no family?" She asks, sympathetically.

"She lost her parents when she was young, and her grandfather recently. They are getting married and having a baby, all without her family involved." I say, looking at Charlie and really feeling her pain. I can't imagine not having my mom, it has to hurt.

"Poor thing. A meet and greet and wedding shower for the happy couple. I'll get a cake, balloons, gifts, everything."

"Don't go crazy, mom. Just simple and relaxed." I tell her, knowing she will go all out if I don't put a leash on her and all her ideas.

"I can't go all out even if I wanted to. You didn't give me enough time." She replies, disappointed.

"Sorry, Mom. So, we'll see you tomorrow at 6?"

"Perfect. Can't wait. Bye, hon."

"Bye."

I hang up and throw my phone back in my purse. This is going to be interesting, I think to myself walking back to the table. I sit down and Alix leans towards me. "What did Sheri say?"

"She can't wait." I reply, reaching for my wine.

"Should be interesting." He states, looking amused.

"I was just thinking the same thing. However, its kinda a good idea. I told my mom about Charlie and Braxton. It's an impromptu wedding shower of sorts."

His eyes, narrow on mine. "Trying to get the attention off of us? Smart, love."

"If I were smart we wouldn't be in this mess. Why the heck did I invite your parents to dinner?" I ask, completely confused.

He chuckles. "My mother is the master at getting what she wants. You didn't stand a chance."

I groan. "Is that were you get it from?"

He nods. "Absolutely, were merciless." He states, unapologetically.

I laugh. "Yes, I've witnessed it first hand."

"And you will again tonight. However, your acceptance to stay at Braxton's does throw a wrench in my plans."

"Plans?"

"Yes, I can't have you screaming down their place."

I roll my eyes. "You think you're that good?"

"I know." He states, smugly.

I laugh at his teasing. "I'm not doing anything with you at their apartment. You'll just have to wait." I reply, seriously.

"Until tomorrow?" He questions, like its the most absurd request he's ever heard.

"Yes. We're guests. We'll be respectful." I point out. I'm not going to someone else's apartment and having sex while they're down the hall. Thats not going to happen.

"That will make it two days." He replies, sounding disgruntled.

"You got some this morning." I argue.

"Not sex." He states, harshly.

I hit his chest lightly with the back of my hand. "Knock it off. You're acting like a child."

"Let's stay at a hotel. Tell them you changed your mind." He orders.

My mouth drops at his desperation. I can't tell if he's joking or not, either way all I want to do is laugh. "Alix, stop." I demand, amused.

    We leave the dinner tasting after Cairo does most of the work by choosing the best dishes and all of the wine selections. I can tell Charlie is amused and doesn't mind at all that Cairo made the choices for the wedding.

On the way up to Braxton's apartment, Alix is angry and annoyed that we're staying with them and not a private room in a hotel. I smile at his expression, finding it laughable and kinda adorable. Charlie notices his attitude and glances at me. I shrug and smirk, she seems to read my amused look and instantly knows what is ailing Alix.

In the apartment Charlie shows us around and to the room we'd be staying at which is on the opposite end of the apartment. I see that Alix is getting hopeful so I shake my head at him. Knowing exactly what he is thinking.

"Sorry, Alix." Charlie says, sympathetically patting his arm.

I smile as I watch her leave. "She's the best."