Prologue

The misty sky was darkly foreboding. A flock of crows hovered back and forth in the air within the vicinity. The croaking of crows would give a sense of eerie to a person's heart. The trees swayed to the rhythm of the harsh wind that carried a heavy scent of blood.

A golden masked man dressed in black calmly walked across the field of dead bodies. His silk black hair that reached his waist was flapping in the stagnating air. Few locks of his hair were neatly assembled with a black, gem ornament. A jingling sound echoed through the crafty and unusual jade tassel on his waist with every step he took. His eyes glowed a deep red as he held a majestic sword painted in blood that dripped on the already tainted soil. The man's pupils held nothing but a bone-chilling coldness that could cause a person's soul to tremble in utter fear.

There wasn't a single stain on his clothes even after the cruel battle that took place a few moments ago.

At the far end of the vast land, a loud horn was blown indicating the arrival of the new troops of the righteous sects who refused to back down even after they had been once defeated shamelessly.

His feet paused with the sound of the horn as he stood straight and overbearing, as his eyes held a dark glint. Despite the slender structure of his body, his entire being screamed power. The alluring crimson lips which weren't concealed whispered into nothingness. Seconds later, five black figures who wore ghastly and creepy white face masks approached behind the immortal-like man. They greeted in unison as their heads lowered, one leg kneeling on the ground, "My Lord."

"Retreat."

Within the face mask, the five men had a frown on their face hearing this. Nevertheless it was their master, so they complied.

It was the only order given before their master's figure transformed into thousands of tiny blue lights scattering into a dazzling sight and vanishing into thin air. One could wonder just how much power does this man hold? However it wasn't surprising because...

He was the wielder of the Yin sword.

Unbeknown to him, more than hundred meters away there was a tall figure who stood on a thick tree branch silently observing this. He was neatly clothed in shades of green with a seal of a white Phoenix. Anyone who saw this white Phoenix would instantly recognize him as a young master of one of the prominent sects, because only the clan members were allowed to wear the seal of their respective sects.

The young man had an exceptional aura making people unable to look away from him.

His eyebrows narrowed causing straight lines to appear in-between them. Confusion was written on the strikingly handsome and elegant face.

This war had been going on for a few years already. All the righteous sects had joined hands to bring down the Demon King. They wanted to win this war knowing full well how much they'd have to sacrifice for it. But now it just felt that this war would not lead them to anywhere. It was pointless. The number of people dying had increased to an unbearable amount. There wasn't even a glimpse of hope in winning over the powerful Demon King. The difference between them and the demons were too great when it was about power. The one-sided war had now ruthlessly imprinted this huge difference into the minds of the righteous sects. It was obvious that he could wipe out all the righteous sects and turn this world into a den of demons. So why...

There was only one question in his mind as he stared at the place where the heartless Demon King had stood previously-

Why were you retreating when you could once and for all destroy the righteous sects...?

A/N: This story only gets better after chapter 7. The ML will show up in chapter 8 🤗