12

I kicked off my heels and exhaled as I laid on my old bed. It felt good to be home. I couldn't say I was sad about Rick's death, but I did feel sorry for my mother's grief.

My embarrassment at Edric's absence burned fresh in my mind. I thanked the gods I didn't have to deal with the sideways glances and silent questions. I knew why he wasn't there, but I wasn't going to let anyone know about our marital issues. Telling anyone was dangerous. Any girl could walk up to him, click with him enough for him to have sex with a woman, and end up pregnant. I would be removed from the picture despite his promise and I wasn't having that.

Dominic's amber eyes gazed around my room. He had grown up royal so I seriously doubted he ever spent time in a normal bedroom. My room probably felt like a linen closet to him.

"I wish this was over already," I said to the ceiling.

"I can always get an earlier flight."

"I might take you up on that. I can't believe Edric didn't come."

"Did you really expect anything else?" He asked softly.

I shook my head. "I guess not. It just sucks, you know? People are going to notice."

Dominic sat next to me. I pushed up to my elbows and studied his profile. His features were sculpted to perfection. I loved the light stubble coating his cheeks and chin.

"It's not polite to stare," he commented as he turned to me with a smile.

My cheeks heated and I let out a laugh. "Sorry."

"I have no objections," he said with that devious smirk.

I shook my head.

"You know he's an idiot for ignoring you, don't you?" He asked.

I sat all the way and drew my knees under me.

"Maybe I'm the idiot for trying to make it work."

"Any logical person would try to make their marriage work."

I picked at my nail beds. "I'm done trying to make it work. It's been weeks and if anything, it's worse. I think he's going to ask me for a divorce again," I admitted.

"He's asked you before?"

I nodded absently. "I had to refuse. I don't know what'll happen to me if I agree to it."

"So you would rather be miserable the rest of your life?"

"Of course I don't want to be miserable, but what else am I supposed to do? You heard my mom. She wants me gone. It's not like I could just come home."

He silently accepted my statement.

"You can't live like this, Amina. You're too good for it and you have your entire life ahead of you."

"I don't think I can refuse it again if he asks. He'll probably try to have me assassinated," I grumbled.

"I wouldn't let that happen."

I turned and met his eyes. I could tell he was being sincere.

"You would know, right? You would be able to tell me if he did something drastic like that?"

"Of course I would tell you. Edric might want out of your marriage, but I doubt he would ever physically hurt you."

"You don't think so?"

"No."

I nodded absently. He reached over and squeezed my hands for a moment. The instant he touched me every desire I had for him skyrocketed. Maybe it was being away from the palace and Edric that relaxed me enough to focus on Dominic. Maybe it was the fact that I hadn't had sex in over a year. I didn't care what it was. Edric didn't give a fuck about me. He despised my very existence. I knew he wasn't celibate. I wasn't a fucking idiot.