13. Hidden Emotions

Florence and Eric had been together in person for about an hour and since their messy taco situation they had only gotten more comfortable around each other. It had taken her a while to get used to being in his presence and being casually touched by him; the latter one she was still getting used to. Every now and then they would playfully push or slap each other and sometimes their shoulders would brush against one and other, but only for a second. She couldn't speak for Eric but in her case she knew she was feeling him out, seeing what she could get away with or not. Everything had to be innocent between them, she knew that, but there were times his eyes would linger on her a bit too long when he didn't think she noticed – but she was intensely aware of it.

They were sitting on the other side of the beach, not wanting to run into any of their friends, talking about everything between heaven and earth. Right now they were discussing the likelihood of Travis and Chloe being attracted to each other.

"--I only know what you've told me about Travis but he seems like Chloe's type. I'm not sure that's a good or a bad thing yet." Florence said as they continued their conversation.

"I've never seen Travis with a steady girlfriend, but Chloe could do him some good. She seems to be able to hold her ground." Eric said.

Once again they shared a look and immediately started laughing. They still hadn't been able to get over the fact that they were sitting beside each other with no phones pressed against their ears for countless hours. They could speak freely now, for as long as they wanted or could.

"Do you regret agreeing to this?" Eric said after a long time.

She stared at him in shock and shook her head violently, "Of course not, why would you say that?"

"I don't know; I just can't seem to get over the fact that you're here. Florence Washington is sitting next to me."

She giggled and covered her mouth for a second, "Did you ever think we would do this?"

"Exactly what part are you referring to?"

"Honestly; all of it. I mean your girlfriend texted you from my phone and suddenly I'm talking to this guy who just got dumped. You could've easily deleted the text I sent you and moved on with your day..."

"—but I didn't," he filled in and she shook her head, "and you want to know why I didn't, don't you?" He asked and she nodded as a reply.

"Truthfully when you texted me I was in shambles, trying to reach out to Jennifer but getting no response. But then I got a text from you, a complete stranger that offered me their time, at the time I didn't want to call my friends and stir up drama so I texted you back. I wasn't expecting you to even answer me since I waited so long, but you did and here we are."

"I'm glad I texted you and I'm glad you texted me back. I couldn't imagine not talking to you now."

"Me neither, Florence."

"If she comes back here...comes back to you, will you tell her about our friendship?" Florence pushed on, needing to know desperately.

"I haven't thought about it yet but maybe, don't you want me to?"

She had gotten too deep and ended up spoiling the fun by bringing up his ex-girlfriend. Even thinking about her brought a sour taste in her mouth and what she once had casually accused Adam off was now happening to her. Was she actually jealous of Eric's ex-girlfriend?

"You can do whatever you want, Eric," she stated and got up on her feet, "come on let's go see the other's and dip our feet in the water."

"Florence, wait, what did you mean by—"