Chapter 18 - Of Texts (Feb-March)

By Sunday afternoon, Wasim and Roshana had landed in Mumbai and were swiftly taken to the Hooda mansion where Zoya along with Aditya and Anjana were waiting for them. The Siddiquis were overjoyed and relieved to see that their daughter was fine.

Zoya had told Aditya in the morning that her parents didn't know much about her break-up with Yash- mainly the reason, and she requested Aditya to not tell them anything. He understood where she was coming from and had instantly agreed.

The Siddiquis retired to another guest bedroom that Anjana had asked the staff to set up. Later they met the remaining Hoodas- Harsh and Arjun, for dinner. Aditya was surprised to see his father getting along quite well with Wasim. Wasim Siddiqui owned some luxury resorts/hotel chain in Mussoorie and nearby hilly towns and was very active in local politics. Since the Hoodas too were hoteliers, Aditya assumed that would have been a common topic among them.

Anjana and Roshana too got along quite well. Roshana was inviting Anjana and the family to come and stay in Mussoorie during summers when Mumbai was hot and humid. She was also telling about her younger daughter and Zoya's sister Noor, who after finishing her graduation, had joined her father's hotel business. Arjun, the ever-polite brother, entertained both Anjana and Roshana by joining in the conversation.

There was a different vibe around the table, Aditya mulled, a lot of positivity. Everyone, including his father, looked as if they were having a good time. Sometime after the main-course was over and before desserts were served, Zoya let Aditya know her news.

"You're going back tomorrow?" he asked, surprised.

She nodded, "Ammi and Abbu have left the entire house and business to Noor and she is still learning. They can't stay away for long. And I need to go- sooner or later."

Their conversation was interspersed with the staff serving a slice of blueberry cheesecake.

"That's... right," Aditya replied; the buoyant feeling that he had earlier was replaced by a sinking sensation. She had to leave someday. What else was he expecting?

Aditya spent the night- sleepless and restless. Come morning, she would go back home and who knew when they would meet again. In these past couple of weeks, he had gotten used to her continuous presence. Her abrupt departure would lead to some sort of a void.

He thought of last night- exactly 24 hours back when they were dancing and enjoying at the charity ball. Those few hours of them grooving to the beat, forgetting everything else, was pure joy. Tomorrow, at this time, she would be gone.

Come morning, Aditya was fatigued. He had gotten a couple of hours of sleep at max. He took a cold shower (despite the weather) and it did wake him up. He was on his fourth cup of coffee that morning when Wasim and Roshana made their way to the drawing room, with a staff behind carrying their small bags.

It was time for them to leave. His family was bidding them goodbyes with Roshana inviting them over. Aditya noticed Zoya had still not come down from her room. Seeing this as his only chance to talk to her alone, he left the room inconspicuously and ascended the stairs to her guest-room.

A knock on the door caught Zoya's attention. On seeing him she smiled and picked up her handbag. "I was coming downstairs. Almost done." She said.

Aditya had sneaked off to talk to her but now that he was with her, he didn't really know what to say. So he stood still, near the door.

"Aditya," she broke the silence, "I just wanted to thank you, like really thank you, for everything," she emphasized on the last word, "that you've done for me. From the moment we met on the flight till now."