Chapter 16

Chapter 16

"So what are the Dead Boys like?" Hayden asks me during lunch the next day while Mia stands impatiently inline for a breakfast burrito at McDonalds (the only fast food place they have here and I didn't even know about it).

"Uh," I search my brain for something to say but I just sound dumb, "They're basically just like any other group of guys. You know, video games and shit."

"Then why are they so weird around other people? I don't think I've ever seen them talk to anyone at school who wasn't one of them. And you are one of them now, but you still hang out with us." He's pushing it, I don't understand why though.

"Listen, Hayden. It's just a friend group full of socially awkward kids," I say and he rolls his eyes. I can tel he doesn't buy it and a big part of me doesn't blame him to be honest. The Dead Boys are known all over town for their allusiveness and secretive ways. Of course he's going to push one of the biggest mysteries in Woodstown.

"There's gotta be more to it, Bellamy. If that's all it was then people wouldn't talk about them they way they do, don't you think?" Shit, he's got a point there.

"Yeah, but-"

"Hey guys!" Mia interrupts, holding a breakfast burrito happily in her hands, "Whatcha guys on about?"

"Nothing," Hayden and I say casually at the same time. She eyes us suspiciously but drops it and hops towards the door.

The two of us follow the crazy midget out the door. Mia, that crazy women, had already finished her damn burrito by the time we got to her car.

"You are crazy lil mama," I say to her as I climb into that back seat of her car.

"Oh shut up," She says but she's laughing because she knows that it's the truth.

"He's right, baby." Hayden says and lovingly caresses her face.

This makes me frown, it always does when I see them like this. I mean, it's not like I'm jealous of either one of them, I'm just jealous of them as a whole. I want something like that. My stomach begins to twist as I think about Aaron.

I picture myself in Mia's position and I picture Aaron reaching his hand up to touch my face admirably and tenderly. Oh god. I crave him so much. I'm instantly bought back to that kiss, that kiss took me to another world. I can't describe it without it sounding so cheesy and so fake but it's all so true.

"You okay, Bell?" Mia asks and looks at me in the review mirror.

"Dandy," I say lamely. She doesn't push it and I'm grateful. She's so understanding and these past few weeks she's never been one to push things or guilt me into saying what's on my mind. I wish I could be more honest with her. Over the years it's been so hard to be honest with people. She knows that I'm gay and I feel like that's enough she should know.

That shouldn't be the case. I have to learn how to be open with her, with other people in general. I can trust other people who aren't just the Dead Boys.

*****

"Are you ready to lose my friend?" Azul asks me as he ties up his running shoes.

"I should be asking you the same," I say laughing as I do the same.

"Oh really?"

"Well, I have won every time we've done this. I thought you'd be used to failing by now," He raises his eyebrows at me as I say this.

"I'm gonna kick your ass," He says finally.

I laugh and roll my eyes as I follow him out of the locker room. I hate being cocky but you know, but I am awesome.

Together we walk out onto the field and the rest of the team is there along with the coach. He instructs us to warm up first. To warm up we stretch, go for a slight jog and do some lunges. Azul and I fool around way too much and we spend the whole time stickering at each other and annoying the other guys.

"You guys are too funny," a tall blonde guy named Greg says to us right before we line up in our heats.

"Thanks friend," Azul says and winks. Greg laughs and rolls his eyes while walking away.

While I run, I think about Aaron. I saw a glimpse of him today while he was walking with the other boys but he didn't look at me. I'm sure he knew that I was looking at him though, how could he not? When I'm around him I can't help but look at him. My eyes are glued to him.

I wish I didn't have to go through this. I wish it was okay to be gay in this damned town and I wish the Dead Boys didn't have that stupid rule.

How are they even going to date if the only gay kids in the school aren't even allowed to date each other? And honestly, I can't be the only one in the group who has feelings for another group member! If I had to choose anyone, I would definitely say that something has happened between Bentley and Caleb. The way Caleb is so protective other him and how they're always at each other's side.

My thoughts are interrupted by the cramp in my side. While thinking I forgot to focus on my breathing as I ran. I move my hand and hold my side as I cross the 400-metre mark. My breathing comes out ragged and desperate.

As I catch my breath, I realize that my thoughts were just me trying to justify my feelings for Aaron. I need to stop this nonsense. It's not doing anyone any good, especially my heart.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N:

Insanely short chapter, I know, but the next one is coming soon.

I wanted to add a bit of fluff because there's gonna be a lot going on for Bell in the next few chapters

Plus I wanted to give you guys a bit.

-Hannah