four

"You are a bloody idiot, Y/n."

"Tell me something I don't know, Courtney," I answered with a sigh.

"You're beautiful! Bet you didn't know that!" Fawn responded.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Come on, we have to get to Defense Against the Dark Arts."

We continued walking through the crowded hallways of the second floor. We soon approached the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower and began to climb the stairs.

"What was our homework in this class?" Courtney asked.

"Uh . . . we had to better our Stupefy casting."

We entered the classroom and Professor Moody looked at us. "Almost late, girls. Hurry up next time."

I took a seat in the back next to Fawn and Courtney.

"Please stand and queue up at the front of the classroom. We will be practising the Stunning Charm again, and you will aim at the dummy here." A pale, fabric mannequin appeared in front of the classroom with a wave of Professor Moody's wand.

We stood and got in a line, then all took turns Stunning the mannequin with Stupefy.

~~~

"What do you mean you don't know how to dance?"

"Y/n . . . you are a disgrace," Courtney added to Fawn's question.

I sighed for the billionth time. "My dad was never around to teach me when I was little and my mom . . . well, you know what happened. I never cared to learn and nobody cared to teach me."

"We'll teach you!" Fawn offered.

"Shouldn't we let Malfoy do that?" Courtney said, giggling.

"He'd just get mad at me for messing up," I replied.

My friends hesitated before Fawn said, "True."

"Plus, I don't really care to learn. I will just let Draco lead for the one dance we have to do. It's not like I'll need it for next year."

I stood up from my seat in the Great Hall. "I'm going to go work on some stuff."

I started jogging the quick distance to the Hufflepuff common room. I arrived, but I suddenly didn't want to be there. I knit my brows in confusion and turned around, continuing to walk. I kept my pace until I walked out of the school. Why was I going out here?

I kept walking, soon arriving at the Black Lake.

I sighed and kneeled down by the water, slowly reaching my hand into the cold, almost-black water. I watched in silence as the water rippled as I moved my fingers.

A head popped out of the water. I saw fins on the side of its head, and its hair was wet, slicked-back, and green. Another head, similar to the first, appeared behind it, giggling.

The mermaids were odd creatures, but I knew that they never came to the surface. The two mers here must have been on a dare, or--no. There was only one other reason as to why they would come to the surface, and I refused to believe it was true.

The mermaids ducked back under the water before quickly shooting out of the water and splashing me, giggling like second-years. One pointed at something behind me before hitting the water. I watched as their tails flicked one last small wave of water at me before disappearing.

"Are you cold?"

I cursed under my breath. I knew that voice, and I knew enough about merfolk to know that there was only one logical reason as to why they would come to the surface.

"Uh, no. Not really," I lied. The water was cold, and I was soaked, thanks to those pesky mermaids.

"You're shivering," the voice, very familiar, said.

"Really? I couldn't tell."

I was still kneeling by the water, so I stood up and turned around to make see a pair of bright, silver eyes looking at me with concern.

"I've never liked mermaids," Malfoy said, handing me a towel.

"Where'd you get t-this?" I asked, taking it and wrapping the towel around myself. It was green and silver.

"Snape."

". . . Thanks."

I looked down. A strand of soaked hair fell in front of my eyes.

Malfoy's eyes flashed with surprise, but it was quickly replaced with more concern than before. "Y/n?"

"Yeah."

"Oh, dear Merlin, what are you doing out here right now?"

I stepped back, not expecting that reaction. "Uh . . . I didn't want to talk to my friends and I didn't feel like going back to my House, so I came here instead."

"Why didn't you want to talk to your friends?"

"They were making fun of me for not being able to dance--"

"You can't dance?"

"No."

Draco looked at me with wide eyes. "You are going to learn."

"That's great," I responded sarcastically.

Malfoy ignored my comment and led me farther away from the Black Lake so I wouldn't fall in. I looked around as I saw a group of people flying around on brooms: Quidditch practice. That brought up another question.

"Don't you have practice tonight?"

"I got out of it tonight so Flint could train the rookie. Now, come on. Put your hand on my shoulders."

I left the towel around my shoulders and did as Draco instructed.

"I'm going to put my hands on your waist, are you okay with that?"

I hesitated. "Yeah."

He did as promised and we started swaying to the imaginary music. I followed Draco's instructions, apologising every time I accidentally stepped on his foot.

It was quiet, but Malfoy decided to break that. "Why don't you know how to dance?"

"Uhm. Well, my dad had to work multiple jobs to support my family, and he didn't know how to, either. My siblings are both younger than me, so that didn't help. And my mom," I paused, my voice cracking as I looked down at my feet, "my mom died when I was little, so I couldn't have learned from her."

Draco was quiet for a few minutes. "I'm sorry about your mother. I don't exactly understand the pain you've been through, but I am sorry you had to go through it."

I shrugged. "At least I can learn now."

~~~

I shot up, my head aching. I was in my bed in my dorm. Had that all been a dream?

"Bloody hell," I mumbled, stretching as I yawned. I glanced down at my wristwatch, using my wand for light. It was three in the morning.

I looked down at myself. I was still in my robes.

I rolled my eyes and fell back onto my pillow, closing my eyes and falling asleep almost instantly.