Extra Scenes #1

#1: Riu

A young boy covered in dirt was unconsciously laying inside an alley. He was thin and ghastly, his skin wrapped around his bones in a tight fit. Anyone who would see his state would think that he was already dead but the rise and fall of his chest says otherwise.

For hours, the boy stayed there, unmoving. When he finally opened his eyes, he was met by the familiar darkness. It would have scared other boys his age, but to him, it became a comforting presence. Full of determination, he pushed himself up and steadied himself by leaning on the wall. His body still ached, his knees were weak and if he wasn't careful enough, he would slump back to the ground.

The young boy patiently moved with slow but steady steps, taking a few breaks to gulp air as his lungs felt like bursting. He ignored the painful jolts in his stomach and continued moving forward.

Finally reaching the end of the alley, he was greeted by the bustling streets. The smell of food wafted through the air and the young boy couldn't help but salivate. He didn't know when was the last time he ate. He didn't even remember how long he slept. Probably hours, or days.

The young boy decided to sit for a while as he silently planned on how he was going to find himself food and water. One, he could beg for alms. Two, he can work at the butcher's shop and they could give him leftover food. Opting for the second one, he was about to stand up when a young master appeared in front of him.

The young boy looked at the young master in front of him. He was wearing a white silk garb designed with golden thread woven into carps. His jet black hair was neatly tied, not a single stray of hair covered his flawless face. Behind him were his two servants. Just one look and the young boy could tell that he was from a noble household.

"Here," The young master spoke and handed the young boy a paper bag.

The young boy just stood still as he suspiciously eyed the paper bag.

"Its food. Don't worry, I didn't put anything in it," The young master explained when he noticed the hesitation in the young boy's eyes.

The young boy didn't move an inch so the young master sat on the ground in front of him. He took the bowl of food from the paper bag and placed it between them. He took the cover off, picked a piece of meat with his bare hands and stuffed it in his mouth.

The young boy was stunned at what he saw. When the young master sat on the ground without covering it first, he thought the servants would stop him but they just let him be. He even used his hand to eat the food.

"See," The young master muttered as he chewed the food, "Its safe to eat it."

The young boy nodded in astonishment as he also pick a small piece of meat and put it in his mouth. He carefully chewed it and made sure not to make a sound. When he swallowed it, he started to cough as the food lodged in his parched throat.

The young master was quick to order his servants to retrieve water as he patted the young boy's back. Soon, the servants brought back water and gave it to the young boy who gratefully took it.

"I'm sorry, I should have brought something lighter for you to eat. Don't worry. Next time, I'll bring you porridge. And soup, too." The young master sheepishly grinned at the young boy.

For the next days, in the corner of the busy streets of the Southern Border, the young master can be seen eating with the young boy.

After eating, the young master cleared his throat, getting the attention of the young boy, "Do you want to come with me?"

The young boy stared at him in confusion, his eyes twinkled with questions but his lips remain sealed.

"I know you don't have a home to return to and that you don't have a family anymore," The young master started. The young boy's expression saddened hearing his words.

"If you want, you can come with me. I will provide you with food and shelter." The young master continued.

A moment of silence passed by as the two were locked in a staring contest. Sighing, the young master stood up, "I'll be going then. See you tomorrow."

The young master told his servants to bring the carriage so they could go home. Before he could take a step towards the carriage, the young master felt someone grab his sleeves. He turned his head and saw the young boy.

"Are you coming with me?" The young master smiled.

The young boy nodded.

They entered the carriage and the servants made their way back to their master's manor.

"I'm Mo Li," The young master introduced himself, "What's your name?"

The young boy shook his head.

"You can't speak?" Mo Li raised his brow.

The young boy shook his head once again and with a frail voice, he answered, "I don't have a name."

Mo Li turned silent for a moment, "Then shall I call you RIU?"

For the first time, the young boy smiled.

This extra chapter is my way of thanking you, you awesome beings, for reading Another World and for the support you have given me as a writer. Again, thank you! ❤

P.S. I may add a few extra scenes for some of the minor characters in the story.