CHAPTER 45: Lunch From Hell

ADRIAN

I left with Nate last night. He wasn't my most favourite person but given my present condition with Vanessa, I had to bear with his fraudulent ass.

Vanessa was practical and she kept her priorities straight. She always kept her ambitions first and I was hoping that seeing my growing inclination towards choosing Nate as the next CEO, she might break up with Blake.

Should I not have done that? Why did her dating Blake matter so much to me?

I reached my penthouse around ten in the morning. I sat in front of my laptop and had a quick conference call with all the branch heads, to see if things were going smoothly. Then my secretary called up to ask me for my Christmas gift list.

Oh right, Christmas!

This time I would have to hire someone to decorate the penthouse because back at the mansion we did it together. I told her to get the gifts for all the people saved in my contacts and issue bonuses to the employees. However, I told her not to get anything for my family or Bryan since that was my responsibility.

I kept my phone on the table and went to the kitchen, looking for some breakfast. I opened the fridge, just to see the wine I and Vanessa had been drunk on less than a week ago. How quickly things change, I wondered.

Next, I debated calling mom. It just reminded me of how badly I wanted to see my family but I couldn't go home. I sat down with a bowl of cereal, switching on a drab news channel.

When I was halfway through the meal, my phone began ringing. It was an unusual number.

I cleared my throat and picked it up, saying, "Dad."

"Adrian.", I heard from the other end.

"I reached New York."

"Hmm."

"Alright.", I said.

I heard a struggle for the phone on the other end and then his voice was replaced by a feminine one, "Adrian, we have guests coming over. I and your dad want you to come back, home."

"Mom, he kicked me out.", I complained, fully aware that he could hear me.

"I know that, son but we don't want to spend Christmas without you. Please come home."

"I'll think about it. Who are the guests though?"

"Oh, it's Vanessa's family.", she said.

"So? Haven't I met them enough times already?"

"Oh no! Her sister is coming over too."

"To stay there? Was Vanessa not enough?", I said irritably.

"Of course not. They are here for just a meal and then all of them will return back to their home and Vanessa is by far my most favourite of the Hudsons. Dare you call her a handful."

But she was. Infact, more than just a handful.

"Vanessa is leaving too, then?", I asked impatiently, before I realised how obvious my concern was.

"Yes. Her too. Their house has been renovated now.", my mom said.

"I'll think about coming over."

"We'll see you at lunch. Don't be late.", Dad said authoritatively, ignoring my last sentence.

"Fine. Bye.", I said, before hanging up.

I had to go. It was my last chance to re-enter my house. I took a shower, changed into a brown suit and red tie, combed my hair and left for my mansion.