Extra Scenes #2

#2: Bai Long He

"General Bai, I would like to ask your daughter's hand in marriage." The third prince, Chen Heng Li, spoke.

Bai Long He was surprised by the third prince's sudden proposal that he was lost for words.

"I know that it might seem sudden but the first time I met your daughter, I was taken by her." Chen Heng Li confessed.

"Your highness, I don't know what to say." General Bai admitted.

When Bai Long He's wife died from giving birth, Bai Fan was the only family that was left to him. Although he doesn't spend much time with his daughter, he still loved and treasured her the same.

"General Bai, if my words can ease your worries, then I, Chen Heng Li, third prince of this empire oath to love and protect Bai Fan as long as I live. I will make sure to provide a safe home for her and will give her anything she would ever need." Chen Heng Li promised.

Bai Long He smiled, "Your highness, will you give this old man some time to think about your proposition?"

Chen Heng Li nodded in understanding.

Since Bai Fan was already in a marrying age, Bai Long He thought that the third prince will make a good husband for her. He had also known Chen Heng Li since he was young. He was smart and a responsible person. Bai Long He never heard anything bad about Chen Heng Li, instead, it was all praises. Compared to his older brothers, Chen Heng Li was the best.

When Bai Fan told her father that she doesn't want to marry the the third prince, Bai Long He was confused. When Chen Heng Li stayed at the Bai Residence at the Western Border, his daughter and the third prince looked like they were enjoying each other's company.

When he asked the reason why, Bai Fan simply answered that she doesn't like him. Bai Long He even reasoned that both can take their time to know each other if things were going too fast for her. And Bai Fan was adamant with her answer.

Sighing, Bai Long He could only give up. If he pushed Bai Fan to do things she doesn't want, it may strain their relationship. Bai Long He would rather lose his position than lose his daughter.

But it doesn't end there. Somehow, the royal concubine had persuaded the emperor to marry one of her sons to his daughter.

When Bai Fan chose to marry the first prince, Bai Long He was secretly relieved. Between Prince Chen Mu and Prince Chen Hui, he was the better choice.

The time Bai Fan married and left the Bai Residence, Bai Long He felt both happy and sad. Happy because his daughter will start her own family and sad because he missed her presence at home.

Most of the times, Bai Long He would spend the entire day at the military camp and would even sleep there. He busied himself with the matters of the Western Border to distract himself. Several group of bandits had been causing ruckus and he almost lost his life if not for a masked man who came to save him, taking the blow for him. Moreover, every time something happens in the Western Border, the masked man would appear. Before he could offer them his gratitude, the masked man and his men would disappear. Bai Long He had his suspicions over the identity of the masked man but he kept it to himself, a wide grin in his face.

Bai Long He went to the imperial capital for a number of times but he didn't have much of a chance to visit her daughter. When he finally saw her again, he was happy to see that Bai Fan was living a good life. He was also grateful that the first prince was treating her precious daughter well and he didn't took a concubine in his manor.

When Bai Fan came to the Western Border with the news that she was pregnant, Bai Long He was ecstatic. He was going to have a grandchild and he was going to make sure that he would be the best grandfather in the entire empire.

But something went wrong.

Ever since that bittersweet day, Bai Long He has never seen his daughter and his son-in-law again. They said the couple went on a long journey but Bai Long He was doubtful in his heart. How can Bai Fan and the first prince leave without their newborn son? How can her daughter leave without leaving him a message?

Bai Long He felt uneasy but he trusted that nothing bad happened. With the thought that the first prince was with Bai Fan, he rested his mind and focused on bringing up his grandson.

The time has flown so fast. The empire has a new king and his grandson had already married but still, there were no news about his daughter and the first prince.

Bai Long He's only wish is to see his daughter one more time before he dies.