... and the proposal

There was an old saying in your village, and it had something to do with love and fate. You weren't one to listen to proverbs and tall tales, immersing yourself in the ways of firebending. Everyone knew that you took solace in fire. It was your family, friend, and lover. 

"I present to you: Fire Queen [Name]." 

And for it to be part of your title... Well, that wasn't so bad.

<<<<

 Eyes wide, mouth agape. These were the signs of your impending decline of their proposal. When your mother mentioned that the Fire Lord's advisers were coming by the village, you had thought that they were just doing the yearly census or some sort of government duty. You didn't think it was to visit you, much less demand you to become the Fire Queen.

"Why me?"

The question was a valid one and had to be answered before you had a mental breakdown. The two elderly women glanced at each other, as if they were debating on who would answer. The one on the left cleared her throat as she silently accepted the responsibility. "Fire Lord Zuko has been leading this great nation into a peaceful time. Now that this nation's citizens aren't thinking about war, their attention has been focused on their leader. At his prime age of 24, people are wondering when he will settle down."

"He's got Mai."

Again, the advisers had their silent discussion as to who would speak. The right one decided to explain, "Not too long ago, they found it best to part ways."

"Uh huh. Doesn't Zuko have other more suitable candidates?" You crossed your arms as you became even more suspicious.

"He specifically asked for you," the two advisers said in unison. The tone of their voices mirrored the same confusion you possessed.

You rolled your eyes at your predicament. "Now back to the question, why me?" 

Your mother, who was present the entire time, elbowed your arm. You growled in pain and rubbed your arm as you noticed her glaring at you. You knew why she was angry-- the mere fact that you were addressing the Fire Lord so casually made her blood boil. At the same time, it seemed that you were going to decline the Fire Lord's request for you to be his wife.

However, you couldn't understand why she would be angry. You knew Zuko whenever his mom secretly brought him to the village. You played together, were almost inseparable whenever he was here, enough that you considered him a good childhood friend. That was way back when you were both around five or six years old. The last time you had seen him was when you were visiting the capitol with your mother and ran into him at a restaurant.

It was supposed to be an amicable meeting. You tried giving him a big embrace just like the old times, but he turned you down coldly and pretended not to know you. You were twelve at the time, and the rejection hurt. It wasn't that he didn't remember you; he was just afraid to be associated with you.

In your book, he was branded as a piece of turd. To have him requesting your hand in marriage... Yeah, confusion was an understatement. "Can I talk to him before we decide to do anything?"

The two advisers nodded with a sigh of relief, "That much we can do."

It was certainly going to be an awkward reunion.