24. Playing Our Cards Right

{Vongola base, Japan}

Koro stood in silence. His purple orbs scanned the rubbles around him in calm contemplation before settling on Squalo's left forearm. His nose scrunched up in disgust as he made his way closer to the rain's limb, the sword still tied to the cut off member.

Koro's gaze flickered to his hands for a second, checking if he wore his usual black leather gloves before he tentatively extended his right arm to the lone limb.

Silently taking the sword out of the ground, he walked closer to his ex-rain counterpart. Crouching down next to the listless silver head, he laid the sword (and hand) on their right.

His left hand reached to the older man's neck, feeling his pulse to check if he was still alive before breathing a sigh in mild relief.

Squalo was breathing. He is alive. A small simper made its way to Koro's face as he felt his tense body relax at the realization. It disappeared as soon as it came, being replaced by a perfect poker face, Koro took his phone out.

A small payphone which had for particularity to only be utilizable once before needing a recharge. Flipping it open, Koro dialed an international number on reflex, not even glancing to check if the contact-info was correct he went back to giving Squalo his whole attention.

Koro scanned the ruins around him, a map the Decimo showed him once coming to mind as he tried to put the pieces together and understand where he was within the now destroyed base.

Comparing what he saw was left of the infrastructure from the sky, and where he currently was, he managed to approximately guess where the infirmary should be. Slowly taking hold of Squalo's body bridal style, Koro let his cloud infused hand get in contact with Squalo's severed arm.

The cut of hand laying on top of Squalo's unmoving body as Koro held the flip phone in the crook of his neck, waiting for his contact to answer.

::

The infirmary was, to say the least, unorganized. Files and medical furniture laid on the floor, the bed sheets looking no better. Some were torned while others looked wrinkled or stained in blood.

From the sight of it, Koro understood the teens and their comrades had better things to do the week before the choice game. It only showed how invested they were. The thought brought a genuine smile to Koro's face.