Chapter Fifty-Three "The Dinner Party"

By the time we sat down to supper Lady Edgehill seemed like her usual self and did decidedly well controlling the topics of talk during our meal.  I cannot say exactly what was discussed but then my attention was divided between Thomas and the many nods he gave me to watch Faith and Philip.  Despite not talking much, both of our friends seemed to be carrying on without words.  I noticed how Faith would occasionally give a single nod or smile or even allow a little giggle to escape.  It was enthralling to watch.  During the course of our meal, I hardly saw Faith take a bite and I tried to make a mental note to ask her if she had enough to eat later, but I'm afraid I failed on that account.

            Afterwards we adjourned to the parlor where Lord Edgehill invited Thomas and myself to join him and Leah for a friendly game of cards.  I could not say no, but I longed to be part of the conversation between Faith and the Winchesters.  I hoped that Faith would be willing to share once we retired for the evening.

            When the clock struck the hour the viscount began making excuses to end the evening even though his wife assured him that they had plenty of time to stay longer, "No, my dear," Lord Winchester said, "it is time for us to go.  We have many things to prepare for tomorrow."

            "How can you say that?" she argued, "it has been ages since we were here with our friends and we've made new ones as well."  She reached out and patted Faith's hand again.

            "That is true," he smiled, " but I think you'd want to properly prepare for the guest that will be arriving in the near future?"

            Lady Winchester looked to her husband quizzically and with a sudden stroke of understanding she chimed, "Oh yes!  I completely forgot!  We will be expecting company soon so there is much to do!  Much to do!"  There was a bit of giggle in her voice as she draped her wrap around her shoulders.  "It was so good of you to invite us over, Victoria.  We will have to do again, very soon."

            "Of course Abigail," Lady Edgehill said giving her friend a kiss on the cheek, "but don't forget the engagement party, I'm sure you'll want to be here for that."

            "Most definitely," Lady Winchester answered looking at Thomas and myself and then letting her gaze fall to her son and Faith.  "Are you coming, Philip?"

            "I will follow shortly, Mother," Philip smiled, "Thomas and I still have a few things to . . . ah . . . discuss."

            "Very well, do not tarry too long, we will need your assistance in the morrow," she smiled widely at Faith, "It was so very lovely to meet you, dear.  I trust we'll see you again soon."

            "I would like that," Faith replied as she curtsied. 

            After we all said farewell to the viscount and his wife, Lord Edgehill decided it was nearing time to retire for the evening.  He whispered something to Leah that made her also agree to say goodnight.  When I turned to give him a nod before he departed, he flashed me a little smile, I wasn't sure if anyone else saw but it gave me the impression that he was willingly giving us some time alone.  Lady Edgehill was not keen on the plan, but soon he had her bidding as a good evening as well.

            "I do like your father," I told Thomas quietly, "there is something about him that I trust."

            "Yes," he mused, "Father always was a good man."  I watched as he drifted to a state of nostalgia, remembering good times of old, judging from the smile that crept onto his face.

            "Come, Thomas," Philip said suddenly, "Let us be off to discuss that business . . . " his words trailed off as he looked to his friend.