Chapter 29: Nightmares

(Thorin's POV)

I held Arulla close to my chest as she fell asleep. Once I knew for sure that she was in a deep slumber, I carefully grabbed my bedroll and slowly removed myself from Arulla's grip. I laid her down gently and replaced my arm with my folded bedroll, as a makeshift pillow. Then I grabbed my blanket and threw it over top of her. She snuggled into the warm blanket and sighed contently.

I walk over next to Dwalin and he nods in greeting, "How does our leader fair?"

I grimace as I remember my pain in my chest and head, but I shake it off and hide my emotions, "I'm fine." Dwalin chuckled, "No you're not Thorin. Aulë, you almost got killed by a warg no more than a day's past."

I smiled and looked behind me. My smile falters and I see the small, and rather thin and pale figure cuddled safely in my furs. "I must be strong Dwalin. You know that." Dwalin followed my gaze and nodded slowly.

I continued, "If she knew I was in pain, she would worry about my well being before her own. I cannot allow her do that. She needs strength more than I." Dwalin nods again in understanding.

I sigh deeply and my gaze retracts from Arulla's sleeping form and onto Dwalin again. I breathe deeply before speaking again, "Dwalin..." Dwalin looks up at me with a curious gaze. "If something ever happens-" "

"Thorin don't-" I shake my head. "No. IF something happens to me, whether it's on this quest, or when I'm old and frail, just promise me... Promise me that you'll look after her. And tell her how much I cared about her."

Dwalin took in a shaky breath but then nodded, "I swear on my life Thorin that after you move on, that she will never want for anything, and everyday I'll tell her of embarrassing and loving stories that her father shared with me years before, and stories about how many days you searched for her, and thought about her, and even told funny tales about her."

I chuckled and gave Dwalin a genuine and thankful smile. I went to embrace him and whisper in his ear, "Thank you my friend." I pushed away and Dwalin clapped a hand on my shoulder and shook it gently. When he walked away I started back over to my sleeping child, but before I could reach her, I could hear Bilbo running down the slope, breathing and panting heavily.

I whipped around and was able to meet his face the moment it came into view, "How close is the pack?" My voice is panicked and worried. Wait, my voice has never been panicked and worried. Oh yeah that's right, I became a father again.

"Too close. a couple of leagues, no more." Bilbo replied, breathing heavily, "And that is not the worst of it." I sighed and grumbled, 'There's always something worse!' I thought to myself.

"Have the wargs picked up our scent?" Dwalin questioned, I looked up, hopefully not.

"Not yet, but they will do. We have another problem." Bilbo huffed in one breath.

"Did they see you?" Gandalf asked coming out from the shadows. Bilbo didn't answer, "They saw you!" Bilbo shook his head and I released the breath I never knew I was holding.

"No that's not it-"

Gandalf smiled, "What did it tell you. Quiet as a mouse. Excellent burglar material." everyone began their "soft" cheers in agreement.

"Will you listen?" Bilbo glanced around the company who payed him no heed, "Will you just listen?!" Again no response.

"OI!" A raspy and hoarse voice from behind me shouted. I turned around and sure enough Arulla had sat up and was glaring at the company. She looked like she had just escaped her deathbed, which she did, but it made me extremely worried.