Look Out For Monsters

Look out for monsters my mother would tell me. She told me what they would do if I let them get a hold of me. How they would use, dirty, and break me. How the monsters would throw me away when I couldn't be cleaned.

               Look out for monsters my mother would tell me. But she never said what they looked like. She told me how to dress and act so I wouldn't attract them. I often got in trouble for acting to grown. Not a word about how going down the slide would attract them too.

               Look out for monsters my mother would tell me. But she never told me how often she would let the monsters into our home. The castle without a King always had the draw bridge down.

              Look out for monsters my mother would tell me. But never once did she tell me that she wouldn't help me if the monster finally caught me in it's claws.

              Look out for monsters. Look out for monsters!!!

              On fragmented pieces of my childhood I have allowed myself to remember, this rings the loudest. A phrase that has  been ingrained into my soul. What I wish my mother would have told me was that the same monster that had devoured and left only a husk of her. Would some day come and eat me whole too.