Chapter 48

Third person pov

The first thing Yoshino noticed when she entered her house was the smell. It wasn't a bad one, no. In fact, it made her mouth water, and her eyes widen in surprise. There was a sizzling sound coming from the kitchen. She wondered what Shikaku was doing home so early. He really wasn't that good of a cook, however, so she didn't see how...

She almost dropped her groceries when she entered the kitchen. It was almost lunch now, but Arron was still in her pajamas. Her long black hair was pulled back into a ponytail. Trexx sat at the table, dwarfing the small chair he'd taken a seat in. Arron didn't appear to notice the woman, flipping the piece of sizzling meat into the air with ease. Yoshino watched it flip, landing back in the pan with a slap. Arron nudged it with a spatula.

"You... You cook." Yoshino breathed. Arron just about jumped out of her skin, turning to look at Yoshino with wide eyes. She didn't run though, her eyes never leaving Yoshino as she awkwardly shook the pan a little to keep the meat from sticking or burning. Yoshino stared right back, just as shocked. "I didn't mean to startle you. Shikamaru just never... does he know?"

Arron looked away sharply, giving a single shake of her head. Her hobbies had been lost to her, and seldom were they ever practiced. But she could still remember cooking with her mom, and she'd been taught by some of the other women she'd met. One, an older woman with exotic skin and eyes, had been a professional chef. It was had been one of Arron's jobs to help cook, and she'd learned a lot in that time.

"What are you making?" Yoshino couldn't help but ask. It smelled heavenly. Steak, Yoshino ventured. But with an odd combination of spices sprinkled and cooked into it, she noted as Arron gave the meat another little flip.

"Sirloin." Trexx grumbled, eyes shining. Yoshino's eyes flickered to him, and then to the two other finished plates on the table. There were some sides with them as well. It looked like a meal pulled out of a magazine. Arron knew that very well, too. Presentation of the food had been an awfully big deal most places she went. It was a habit.

"Are these for later? I can put them in the fridge..." Yoshino trailed off. She'd skipped breakfast, so her stomach was threatening to rumble. Arron glanced back her silently, shaking her head again. Yoshino felt her heart soar a little with some form of hope. She turned back to the two plates, still hot. "Then who are they for. Trexx?"

She shook her head again. Yoshino's mouth watered. "Is it for Shikaku and I?"

She almost hooted with joy when she nodded, not turning to face the woman. "Do you want to come with me to take this to him? I'm sure he'd love it if you came along." Yoshino knew it was a long shot. A very, very long shot. The chances of Arron willingly going somewhere with her, without Shikamaru, were slim. But this was the perfect chance to really help acclimate Arron to her new life.

Arron almost said no, but stopped herself. She had to make Shikamaru proud. So far she'd done one thing she thought he may like to hear about. She'd made food for herself, and for his parents. That was a good thing, right? Arron glanced at Yoshino as she slid her steak onto another plate, already loaded with the proper sides. She nodded.

Yoshino lit up. "Wonderful! Let me get a box for these to transport. Wouldn't want them getting cold!"

Yoshino hastily put away the groceries before getting what they'd need to enjoy their meals. She hoped to god Shikaku wasn't busy. The man needed to try this steak while it was still fresh. If it was as good as it looked and smelled, Yoshino'd be begging Arron to at least make dinner every once in a while. 

Arron walked behind Yoshino, but the woman didn't mind. The girl wore ninja shorts not unlike Shikamaru's, and a baggy shirt with long sleeves. It was getting rather chilly, Yoshino noted absentmindedly as she babbled to Arron. If nothing else, the girl was an amazing listener. It was a shame Trexx was too focused on the sun to care what they were saying. His comments were always so funny.

"Hey, Mrs. Nara. Shikaku's in his office." Genma said as the woman walked in. He sat up. "What's that smell? I know you didn't cook that."

"Oh shut up, Genma." Yoshino rolled her eyes. "I didn't. Arron here did."

Arron's whole body was rigid. She pulled her sleeves down over her hands as far as she could, ducking her head a little. Her heart was pounding and her breathing began to speed up, but she kept the image of Shikamaru's grin when he heard of all she'd done when he got back. Not only that, she told herself how much she'd benefit from this once she got used to it. It could be the push she needed to accelerate her recovery. If she wanted to get better, she'd need to start really fighting for it. Even if that meant stepping several feet outside her comfort zone.

"That must be Arron. Shikaku never mentioned her being a little chef!" Genma peered over the desk at the small girl, eyes shifting to Trexx as the beast finally got through the door. He whistled. "And Trexx, I presume. If he eats anything, you're paying for it."

"I know." Yoshino sighed, but she was smiling. "I didn't know Arron could cook at all until I came home. Talk to you later, Genma."

"Save me some of that steak, Mrs. Nara." Genma chuckled back. And with that, they entered the T&I building.