Chapter 9: 'The Art of a Thousand Li'

Zhihuan closes his eyes in fury as his servants begin to dress him in one of his most luxurious attires. How could he have been so naive to not know what his empress mother was planning? In this nation, there are 4 main empires. The Huan, Wei,  Daizo and Xie. Zhihuans empire was none other than the Huan empire while Princess Changying was from the Wei empire. It was common sense that an easy tactic to bring two empires together was to marry off the emperor's children. However, Zhihuan did not agree with such an idea, especially with someone like Princess Changying. He scowls as the memory of how they first met resurfaces. 

***

8 years ago, Huan Empire

Zhihuan smiles as he relaxes against a large tree in the Garden of Eternal Beuty. 

Beautiful flowers of various colors were in full bloom, giving off a refreshing fragrance

Beautiful flowers of various colors were in full bloom, giving off a refreshing fragrance. Sun rays jump off the leaves, showcasing Zhihuan as if he were from a stunning painting as he lay there. Today, today will be the day. Zhihuan huffs as he turns another page of, ' The Art of a Thousand Li.' His eyebrows scrunch as he tries to understand the difficult words. 

His teacher had promised Zhihuan that if he was able to uncover the true, deeper meaning of this book and its quotes, he would reward him. Reward him with an erotic novel with pictures that is. Zhihuan's cheeks go red at the thought. Soon, soon he will truly become an adult once he laid eyes on one for the first time. Smiling gleefully to himself, a side he never showed others, he immersed himself with his readings. 

Water flows in, only to flow out

What exactly did that mean! How can such a line have a deeper meaning? It was merely talking about the water. Zhihuan's smile was replaced with a scowl.

It is better to walk a thousand li then to read a thousand books

"What kind of idiot wrote this. Books can fill you with limitless knowledge while walking such a long distance will only tire you," Zhihuan scoffs out.

Every step makes a footprint

Zhihuan almost threw the book then and there. Now it was just stating the obvious. Calm down Zhihuan. Let's focus and try again.

While there are green hills, there will be wood to burn

Letting out a series of cuss words, Zhihuan was ready to launch the book away from him when a soft giggle enters his ears. He pauses and looks around when a small girl approaches him from behind the tree.

She seemed like she was no older than ten years old. Zhihuan found her clothing a bit unusual. She was dressed in pink and blues but her clothing resembled one of a soldier. Not something a lady would wear. Her features were extremely pretty too with a small face and milky white skin. But what was most dazzeling was her hair, so long it almost reached her knees. A strong, charcoal black