Rumours

Harry's P.O.V
I wasn't going to let this book go. I knew it belonged to Malfoy and wasn't really my business but this was as much information I was going to get about him. If I waited for him to open up to me, I'd be there for a very long time indeed.

So mine and Malfoy's stubbornness lead to him tackling me in the Gryffindor common room and the both of us fighting for the book. Everyone was asleep and their doors were closed so surely they wouldn't hear us.

But once again I was wrong.

We were making quite a lot of noise so I should've expected it. But by the time I heard someone shout my name it was too late. I had no way to escape and no excuse.

Not that any excuse could explain why Malfoy was lying on top of me anyway. It really did look bad, and if that wasn't terrible enough the person who supposedly caught us was a 6th year girl.

Great. The whole school is going to think all sorts now.

Both me and Malfoy forgot the book for a minute as we moved away from each other. Malfoy leant forwards, got the book and ran out of the portrait hole without another word.

I on the other hand didn't have such an easy escape. The girl looked at me, excitement in her eyes and ran up the stairs. Presumably to tell all her friends she caught Draco Malfoy lying on top of Harry Potter. It's going to be a long few weeks.

I dragged my self back up the stairs and sulked on my bed. Deciding I couldn't do this alone, I woke Ron up. I was sure he wouldn't miss just a few hours of his sleep.

"Ron?"

"Wha- Harry?" He asked, rubbing his eyes.

"Ron I need your help."

"Harry it's not even morning yet!"

"It's important!"

"What's so bad it can't wait till morning?"

"It's about Malfoy."

At this statement he sat upright instantly. I explained the details of what happened, leaving out the bit about me getting the notebook because I was hanging out with him. Instead, I told Ron that Draco dropped the book and I ran off with it.

He believed me of course. But then he asked what was written in it. I didn't want to tell him that I'd read it, so I said I only got to read the first page and made up a boring believable story.

He laughed at the part where the girl saw Malfoy lying on top of me. Ron knew that nothing else was going on but he was right when he said it wouldn't be easy to convince the rest of the Gryffindors, or even the school otherwise.

After I got ready, me and Ron waited in the common room for Hermione. I wanted to tell her what happened before she heard some rumour that wasn't true. Unfortunately I was too late and by the time she came down, she looked at me like I had a dozen baby mandrakes clinging on to me.

"Harry? Why didn't you tell us?" She asked, looking flustered and a little angry.

"Hermione, whatever you heard, it isn't true." I said slowly.

"So you weren't making out with Malfoy last night?" She said, her face changing to a look of relief.

She stood looking at me, waiting for the rest of the story. But I couldn't tell her here, I didn't want to make my situation worse by talking about Draco in the middle of my common room.

"Not here, let's go get breakfast and we'll talk there." I told the both of them in a hushed whisper.

We walked the corridors towards the great hall. I took a seat with Ron opposite me and Hermione next to me.