Prologue

|| 3 Months Ago ||

|| 3 Months Ago ||

Ok. I thought for fourteenth time while wandering before the principal door. Grin wide, hold their hand and be the nicest person alive

I mentally face-palmed myself once more for having joined the welcome committee. It seemed like such a great idea to get extra credit last year, but now... I was just terrified at the thought of having to interact with total strangers.

I cursed Brett again for putting me in that situation. If he hadn't messed everything up then I wouldn't had been forced to get that extra credit. It's been almost three months and I still felt my palms getting sweaty and my stomach twist whenever I thought of last day of junior year before summer...

I pressed my eyes close forcefully, struggling to keep my mind out of that nasty memories. Damn, Brett. It's because of him that I had to be the guide of Clayton High School for new students. I fought back an anxious grunt. 

I was a shy girl. Actually, I was beyond shy. I get sick when I had to talk someone I didn't know. But it'd get me points to get a letter from the principal when I apply for USC. 

USC, I reminded myself frantically. USC it's right on the corner. Just be nice and get your recommendations. One more year to go and you're out.

My biggest dream had ever been going to University of South California and study veterinarian science. I almost, almost, got an scholarship with the photography contest and also joined the summer course. That must had been a dream come true...

But he had to mess everything, as always. 'Cause that was what Brett Ryder always does. We used to be friend, best friends actually. But than he changed. Just like that. One day he decided he got enough of me and made his resolution in life to make my existence a living hell. This past few years he'd been always there, always bothering me. But three months ago he went way too far.

I tried to made my way to the homeroom but he obviously wasn't going to make things easy. He blocked my way and I started shaking, still avoiding those piercing blue eyes.

Why couldn't he just leave me alone? Especially today. Browsers will be there in less than an hour and I had to prepare everything before the contest.

"Please, Brett." I begged and hated my trembling voice."L-let me through."

He took a step closer and I immediately matched it backwards, with my heart pounding wildly on my chest.

"Aren't you gonna ask me for my summer plans?" He totally ignored my plead and I watched as his black boots made another step closer. I quickly backed. I could almost sense his smirk though I know he was getting angrier each second it passed. "Very bad behavior. What would your mother say about that?"

I gasped, baffled that he use her memory to hurt me. That was a low blow even for him. This time I did raise my head without thinking and met his cold eyes. They shone and he seemed pleased that we finally made eye contact.