Chapter 7

"you can't be serious, " I say taking a bite from my plate of oatmeal and milk while staring at Emma bewildered.

"I am serious, my Dad called Damien asking him to keep an expectant eye on me," she says with all seriousness in her voice.

"so he believes you were dating Josh? " I ask on a verge of bursting into laughter from her story.

Her Dad mistook a guy she met in one of her classes as her new boyfriend after the constant texting and phone calls between them and the fact that her Dad loves Damien as a son in law he informed Damien of the new development.

"you can let your laughter out" she urges making me laugh loudly at her expense.

"How did Damien take in the information? " I inquire while chuckling trying to mellow myself down.

"he was so infuriated that he immediately went after Josh beating him so badly, " she says with a scowl trying to hide a smile.

"I can only imagine what your reaction was, " I say taking another bite from my luscious evening meal.

"I explained everything to him, " she says smirking before pulling a pack of Doritos potato chips, " he asks for forgiveness and he also paid for Josh's hospital bills, " she says before filling her mouth with the potato chips.

"Can you pass me the potato chips? " I ask craving some.

"in your dreams, " she says smirking pulling the Doritos away from me.

"come on I thought you love me and besides my baby is craving one, " I say playing the baby card to get her to let me have one.

"I am giving you this only because of my godchild," she says throwing a pack towards me.

"thanks your godchild is so proud of you," I said grinning widely placing my empty plate on the table before opening the pack of chips" have you communicated with your Mum yet? " she inquired staring into my eyes.

I avert my eyes from hers focusing my attention to the table in the middle of her well-decorated room "not yet" I say shortly.

"what is deterring you from calling her," she says in concern and an emotion unknown to me lacing her voice" it just..." I say stopping contemplating my words and to dissipate unwanted feelings.

"It just, I don't know what to say to her after her constant warnings," I say my voice breaking with emotions I try obscuring.

"Try conversing with her maybe she will understand, " she says sounding skeptical because we both know my Mum so well.

Mum isn't someone who just accepts you made a mistake without constantly calling you out on it, she is someone who passes critique not depending on the feelings of the person involved because she believes in being blunt than covering a lie with sweet words.

"she will never understand because she told me this was going to happen someday, " I say staring into her eyes as silence overwhelm us " and it hurts me to say she was right all along, that one day Chance would leave me but not without wrecking my heart, " I say with a painful smile.

She pulls me into her warm embrace running her hands on my back to calm the sound of my breaking heart.

But I refuse to shed any more tears for my lost battle, for the love I lost" I have to be strong because all this frailty will not help my situation " I say withdrawing from her embrace with a forced smile even if she will see right through it but it feels good to smile at the face of grief.

"I will always be here, " she says holding my hands assuring me with her words.

"okay it's late now I need to go back to my room," I say taking my empty plate and the half-eating pack of chips seeing I have lost my appetite.

"Goodnight, " I say walking out of her room going towards the kitchen.

I step into the kitchen to find Chance sitting on a stool by the counter with a bottle and a glass of drink, I am guessing its alcohol.

He was looking drowsy with his hair disheveled and was looking into space while twirling the glass with the tip of his fingers.

I was surprised to see him in such a manner though he drinks sometimes this scene right here is nothing like Chance I know.

Choosing it's best I ignore his presence putting the plate into the dishwasher before placing my half-eating chips into the fridge.

I stare at him from the corner of my eyes to find him sipping from his drink staring into space while ignoring my presence or maybe he still hasn't noticed my presence in the room.

I place the plate back in the cupboard before taking a glass and filling it with water glancing his way again feeling the need to ask him what was going on " Chance what is going on? " I ask waiting for a reply but he ignored my existence like always.

I gulp down the water before making my way towards him placing my hand on his shoulder, he tensed under my touch " Chance is anything the matter? " I ask again waiting for his acknowledgment.

He gulps the last of his drink from the glass before leaving the kitchen without sparing me a glance leaving me bewildered in the same spot.

I shrug it off walking towards my room.

Opening the door to the bathroom I wash my face with water from the sink before going back into the room.

Immediately my back hit the bed I sigh in relief staring at the ceiling, my mind going towards the scene that took place in the kitchen.

He looked so depleted and so deep in thought like he was carrying the world problems on his shoulders, I felt at fault for the way he looked knowing I am the number one problem he has right now.

Maybe I should look for a job soon to try saving for a better future for myself, I could try getting my own house and a source of the lively hood then I will be off his hair.

My phone rings on my nightstand snapping into my thought without seeing who is calling I picked.

"Shiloh?" the soft calming voice of my mother almost bringing tears to my eyes calls.

"Yeah Mom," I say resting my back on the headboard" Mom what's going on?"

"I should be the one asking you that after not picking any of my calls and not even trying to call back," she says sounding disgruntled.

"Mum, am exceptionally sorry, things are just so complicated, " I say trying to calm her down.

"mind explaining what's going on with you and Chance," she says her anger forgetting as concern clouds her voice.

Does she know?" what do you mean Mum? " I ask threading carefully a case she doesn't know anything.

"I meant how is Chance taking the news of you being pregnant? " she inquires.

I sigh in relief " he is happy I am having his child soon" I prevaricate trying to sound neutral.

I was never good at telling lies but it seems some situations can change you " that's good, I am still trying to get your father to reconsider his decision " she says sounding distant.

"I miss you, Mum, I wish I could see you right now," I say with a shaky voice pushing back the saddle feelings.

"I miss you also dear," she says her voice breaking slightly like she was holding back tears.

"Okay, goodnight Mum," I say hanging up before placing my phone back on the nightstand.

I lay on the bed with my side watching the curtain swing from side to side as the wind from outside blows entering the room.

Standing to my feet I move towards the window pulling it close before going back to bed.

The ticking of the wall clock on the nightstand with sounds of crickets crying outside and moonlight illuminating into the room lures me into a peaceful sleep.