Chapter Nine

Rose gasped. "What's he doing? He'll be killed!"

Alannah snorted. "I should be so lucky."

One glance told her the dragon was in no danger: it had been arrested by William's sudden charge, but it was evading his wild swipes with ease. Alannah turned to the rest of the slaves. She worked quickly and quietly, untying the rope from each one and ushering them away. Each one threw her a grateful glance and disappeared down the trail.

Alannah turned back to the fight and put her hands on her hips. Rose hadn't moved, the slavers were all either unconscious or missing, and William and the dragon were dancing around each other – or, at least, William was dancing and every now and again the dragon stepped out of his way.

This could go on for hours. Alannah cupped her hands around her mouth and shouted, "William! Give it up already, will you?"

Sweat beaded on William's brow and he was already panting, but he darted a surreptitious glance at Rose and called, "No! I'll never give up!"

"How brave," Rose whispered, starry-eyed.

Oh, please. She switched tactics. she called out to the dragon, "Dragon! Put a stop to this, would you? I have better things to do than wait around in a muddy dress while you two dance with each other."

A snort of amusement. Magic touched her skin, all brimstone and velvet. His reptilian form melted away. This time he'd actually deigned to dress himself, in loose leather breeches with a cream shirt and a jacket that covered the words of the spell on his throat. If possible, he looked even more handsome than before.

William drew up short, face riddled with confusion. "How did you do that? What kind of fiend are you?"

The dragon grinned at him. "Magic, obviously. Oh, and you might want to practice using that blade before you go up against another dragon. Assuming you live that long." Then he bent and offered Rose his hand. "I hope I didn't scare you too much, my dear."

"No – not at all," said Rose and took his hand. She was blushing ten shades of her namesake. "I wasn't frightened."

Little liar, thought Alannah.

The dragon's nostrils flared. "You're a princess." He threw Alannah an arch look and she frowned at him.

Don't you dare, she thought as loudly as possible. That girl is betrothed to our king and I'm not having you make her think she's in love with you only to ruin her and dump her in the forest.

Jealous?

She snorted. Hardly. Just promise me you won't touch her.

Wouldn't dream of it, replied the dragon breezily. He squeezed Rose's hand and let go.

"Are you the dragon?" the girl asked. "I mean, were you the dragon?"

He inclined his head in a graceful salute. "I was, and I am."

"What should we call you?"

"In my language," he said, with a smirk, "I'm known as Deathbringer."

She had to stop rolling her eyes. They were starting to hurt.

"But I appreciate that may not be the easiest name, so you may call me Dameon, Your Highness." He hadn't been this charming to her the other night; no wonder they all fell in lust with him. The enemy of all innocents and their fathers everywhere.

"I didn't know dragons could become human," said Rose, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Do you have something in your eye?" Alannah asked dryly.