23: What are we?

Ezra's view

When we finished eating breakfast, Avery and I walk back to my car.

"Now what do we do?" she asks buckling her seat belt.

"I have a place that I want to take you," I reply starting the engine.

"Where?" she asks me.

"It's a surprise, love," I respond, giving her a quick peck before I start driving.

We drive for about thirty minutes and the entire time Avery kept trying to get me to tell her where we are going, but I wouldn't say a thing.

We finally make it up a big hill and I park at the top near where the trails begin.

"Are you going to make me exercise? Like I know you are fit and all, but I'm weak as hell," Avery replies making me laugh.

"We aren't doing any hiking today. Follow me to the edge of the parking lots, there's a cliff and you can see the city," I say pulling her along.

"Wow," is all Avery can say as we make it, the view is incredible.

"How did you find this place?" Avery asks grabbing on to the railing.

"My dad found it. He used to hike here all the time when he was younger. He used to bring me along a lot, before he left," I explain and my voice starts breaking a little.

Avery turns around and pulls me in for a tight hug.

"I don't understand why he left me, or why he never talked to me after," I whimper.

Avery breaks away from the hug to look at me. She raises her hands to put strands of hair behind my ears.

I tighten my jaw and look away to try to regain my composure, but Avery grabs my chin and forces me to look at her.

"Don't do that. Don't try to hold it in. I know you are hurting now, please don't shut it down. You can't keep internalizing this pain, it's not good for you," she says as her expression softens while looking at me.

"I can't. I don't want to feel all of it. I wouldn't know how to feel all of these emotions," I reply looking down.

"That's why you have me. As your girlfriend, I'll help you figure things out. I'll be here for you. We'll figure everything out together, day by day. All I'm asking is that you let me in and that you try to not push down everything you're feeling," Avery says hugging me again.

"Okay," I shakily say. I slowly start to get comfortable in her arms, there isn't anywhere else in the world I would rather be then right here with her.

Then something important popped up in my mind.

Girlfriend?

Did she just say girlfriend?

I break away from our hug and smirk at her. She looks at me questioningly.

"So, we are girlfriends now?" I ask wiggling my eyebrows to embarrass her.

"Oh my god I said that," she says freaking out, "I didn't mean to. It just came out, I'm sorry for assuming."

"Hey, calm down," I say grabbing onto her arms, "It's okay."

"No it's not, like we haven't even talked about what we are..." she says before I cut her off.

"We are two people who deeply love each other. And I for a fact want to be with you. So, even though you already said you were my girlfriend earlier, do you want to be my girlfriend?"

"Of course," she says smiling at me and I can't resist pulling her closer to me so I can kiss her.

"You know," Avery starts to say in between kisses, "We keep," another kiss, "doing things," one more kiss, "Out of order."

"I've noticed, but I think this will make an amazing story to explain to people," I tease her and kiss her one more time.

We walk over to the railing and look over at the city. Avery is in front of me and I put my arms around her waist and hold her close. She makes me feel so safe and understood.

I love her. I love her so much. I didn't know you could love someone like this.

-ding-

Avery reaches into her pocket to grab her phone. She checks it and looks horrified.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"My mom said she will come home to check up on me during her lunch break. That's in less than an hour. We need to get back home," she blurts out terrified.

"Okay, lets run to the car," I say as we start running.

We jump in the car and I immediately start it to head back to her house.

"Oh my god, I'm going to be in so much trouble," Avery says freaking out.

"No you will not. We will make it on time, okay," I reassure her speeding up a little more.

We make it to her home in forty five minutes. I park my car a few houses away and Avery gets out and runs to her home. I lock my car and run after her.

We make it in the house and jog upstairs.

-ding-

Avery checks her phone and tells me, "my mom just parked in the driveway, she's coming in now."

"Hide!" Avery yells as I stand there.

"Right," I reply and look around where to hide.

"For fucks sake, the closet," Avery says as she sees me contemplating where to go.

"Not again, that will be my third time in there," I tease her and then I look at her face and see how freaked out she is and I hurry into the closet.

I hear Avery jump into her bed as I hear her mom's footsteps come up the stairs to her room.