Chapter 32: No Proof

       Spruceworth was a mess because of the storm but a lot of people were outside the next day, working to clean up all the debris. I tried to help as well but it was kind of hard with me being on crutch since I couldn't bend down properly while keeping the pressure off my injured leg.

       I still didn't want to feel useless so I tried helping out as much as I could. At least people weren't telling me to just get back inside and rest because of my injury like they were doing during the storm.

       Okay, I understand why they were telling me to stay inside during the storm but I didn't want to be confined into my house and not be able to do anything until my ankle was healed.

       Unfortunately, I was starting to get a bit sore from standing up on my good foot so I sat down on a nearby bench, resting my crutch down beside it.

       Soon after, Shaw sat down beside me. "How are you feeling?"

       "Good," I said. "Just a bit sore. It's getting tiring having to stand up on only one foot. At least I wasn't severely injured from that fallen fence. Thank you, by the way. For helping me find Grant when I called you. You could have just stayed inside during the storm but you didn't."

       "Of course," Shaw said. "I would never leave you and Grant when you need help." He looked over at Grant, who was with Tara and Lawrence as they cleaned up a pile of leaves. "He seems a lot happier than he was last night when we found him in the storm."

       "I thought finding out who his real mom was would come as a huge shock and he would be reluctant to get to know her," I said. "But she seems like a great person, especially compared to Cora."

       "She is," Shaw said. "I'm not going to lie, she has her moments but I really do think she's what Grant needs right now. Even Lawrence will be there for Grant and while he won't replace Grant's dad, it's still good for him to have a fatherly figure in his life."

       "Especially since he's refusing to talk to everyone in his family," I said. "His grandfather, his aunts, uncles, cousins..."

       Shaw furrowed his eyebrows. "What? Why?"

       "Because they knew," I said. "They all knew Cora wasn't his real mom and even after she kicked him out, they didn't say anything. He just didn't get why she kicked him out and they really knew why."

       "I could see why," Shaw said. "Cora's a... vile human being. Even more so now that I know she basically force Tara to give up Grant. Cora's a mother herself. What kind of mother wouldn't want another one to see her kid?"

       "One like Cora," I said. 

       Shaw suddenly caught sight of someone and didn't look that happy so I followed his gaze to see. It wasn't a something. It was a someone.

       Hugh.

       He was with Kendra and Shaw's kids and after what Hugh did, it just gave Shaw another reason why Hugh shouldn't be anywhere near the kids. 

       It looked like Hugh was trying to get the kids to help him clean up some of the mess but they clearly didn't want to listen to him. At one point, Hugh grabbed Lucian's arm, gently, who quickly pulled away but it was enough to get Shaw even angrier.

       "I swear, I'm going to--" Shaw didn't even finished his sentence before he got up from the bench and started making his way towards them.

       I could already sense the trouble that was going to happen so I grabbed my crutch and stood up, trying to follow Shaw but he was way too fast for me.