Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Hey, Lou." Isaac's voice hung in the air.

Somehow, it was lower than usual and barely a whisper, yet it still managed to drift through the wall.

At first, Louis didn't stir. He had fallen asleep to the sound of Isaac's voice, and now, slowly, he was being woken up by it. Louis moved around in his bed but still didn't open his eyes; he was awake, but only just. He was still tired, but it wasn't the same sort of exhaustion he had felt before finally falling asleep. He didn't feel drained, but rather like he had just woken up from a deep sleep. It was something Louis could get used to.

A quiet knock came from the other side of Louis' bedroom wall, and Louis closed his eyes, waiting for the calming voice of the boy next door to drift through again, his eyes still closed.

"I don't know if you're awake or not, but I'm heading off to school. I didn't know if you were going to school today or not, so I thought I'd try to wake you up... just in case. So, yeah," Isaac rambled, sounding more and more embarrassed by his actions with each word. "Anyway, have a good day, Lou."

Then came silence. Louis found himself smiling into his pillow. Usually, he would be angry at someone for waking him up, but this wasn't someone. This was Isaac.

The smile Louis had on his face quickly vanished when his phone's alarm started ringing, and the thoughts of school entered his mind. Louis sighed and turned the alarm off.

I've probably been expelled anyway, Louis found himself thinking as he grabbed his phone from its charger. He hadn't looked at his phone for a few days now, and God only knows the messages he had on it. He knew that they would only be from Kara or Sam, but after yesterday, he could only imagine how many messages they had sent him. Especially Kara, after Louis had missed their call the night before.

"Holy crap, seventy-four messages," Louis cursed under his breath, preparing himself for what he was going to read.

The screen flashed at Louis as he moved it closer to his face. The light was harsh on his eyes, but he still moved it closer, cursing his horrible vision.

Most of the messages were from Kara. As he looked down his screen, he saw that he had a few from Sam as well, as he had guessed. But some were from an unknown number. Of course, as he expected, there were no messages from his aunt.

Sighing again, Louis started going through the messages, prolonging the time he had to stay in his bed and not think about school. A few of the messages from Sam were from the other day, early in the morning, asking him where he was and telling him to open his door. The rest of those from Sam were from the night before, when he must have got home from Louis', and just before Louis had woken up, asking him how he was.

Louis wrote him a small message and shot it off to him, saying that he was fine and thanking him for what he did before going back and opening the messages he had gotten from Kara.

He knew what to expect. He had missed the call that they had scheduled, which he had never done before. He had always kept his word, even when things got bad. So, naturally, Kara was freaking out, and Louis didn't even have to read all of the messages to know that. Trying to write as fast as possible, Louis typed up an apology, also adding that he was okay and that they would definitely talk later.

He knew that when Kara did call him later on, he would be bombarded with questions and maybe even a scolding. Hopefully, he could prepare himself mentally for that beforehand. He was thinking that maybe he could throw her off her onslaught of questions by mentioning Isaac.

Sitting up in his bed, Louis moved on to the messages that had captured his attention the most. They were from an unknown number. Before he opened the messages, he wondered who they could be from. He rarely ever gave his number out to people.