Chapter Forty-Six

I knew it would take time before Jonah started to trust and open himself up again to people, especially in a place where everybody already pegged him as that kid you should never come closer than a five-mile radius. But knowing that he'd already opened up to me and my best friends was more than enough.

Seeing the hidden goofy side of Jonah completely caught Gina and Bey off-guard—they just went into complete silence while I giggled, both because of the small joke Jonah made and also the stupefied expression on the girls' faces.

The small grin on Jonah's face dimmed a little bit when he saw that Gina and Bey were staring at him wordlessly. "Did I say something wrong?"

"No," I answered with a chuckle.

His lips pursed in dismay. "Is my joke really that bad?" he asked in a mumble. I reached out and patted him on the shoulder reassuringly, while still giggling to myself.

"It's actually really funny," I said honestly. "They just, um, didn't expect you to be funny. No offense.."

My boyfriend nodded in understanding. "None taken. But can you please tell them to drop it? It's kind of starting to creep me out."

I turned my attention to my friends and rolled my eyes. I waved my hands in front of their faces and snapped my fingers. "Dude. I know my boyfriend's hot, but stop ogling at him," I said. "I thought you guys bat for the other team."

They both blinked and finally snapped out of it. "Sorry," Gina said. "I just didn't see that one coming."

"Me either," Bey echoed.

Jonah shrugged to himself and decided that it would be a good thing if he didn't throw another joke again, so he focused on eating the cold pizza from his lunch tray. It looked absolutely disgusting but Jonah chewed on it anyway while I was fully ignoring it, choosing to bite into my apple instead.

"So, how's it going with your baby project?" Bey asked me. She had already returned the fake baby back to our teacher this Monday because her class started the project nearly a week earlier.

"Just a few more days to freedom," Gina said. "From the looks of it, I think I'm already convinced I'm never having kids."

Bey pouted. "But I want to have kids."

"Ask me again in like, a full decade," Gina waved her off, and I chuckled at the couple.

"Your doll still cries a lot even until now?" I asked, and she nodded. "Weird, because Daisy rarely ever cries anymore."

"Really?" she asked disbelievingly. "You mean you don't have to wake up at two a.m. to rock a doll in your hands for the next thirty minutes for nothing?"

I shrugged. "She cries at night sometimes, but it usually stops after five minutes now."

She whistled. "Maybe you guys do take care of her well."

"Don't you?"

She snorted. "I accidentally left it in my car for a whole day a few days ago and didn't even remember. I thought it was at Aaron's."

I tsked. "You're practically flushing your own report card down the toilet right now."

She rolled her eyes, but then smirked. "Well, at least you two have proven to be a decent parent. Just don't get pregnant before you graduate."

I picked up my uneaten pizza and threw it at her face. It missed by an inch, but thankfully it didn't hit anyone else or start a food fight. I didn't feel too bad about it because the pizza tasted like cardboard. "Shut up," I said. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Jonah's face turning red I was afraid he was about to burst into flames.