Chapter four: Mufasa's point of view

(I know guys, this is Zira's story, but trust me, this is important.)

Mufasa ran after Taka, down pride rock and into the savanna. He couldn't believe that his father had said that!!! Well, he usually wasn't the nicest to Taka at home, but that, that was just too far. The grass was getting taller, it was getting harder for Mufasa to see his brother. He called after him again.

"Taka, slow down!!! Wait for me!!!" He knew that Taka heard him, but he wasn't slowing down. Now, Mufasa couldn't see him anymore. He tried jumping up and down to see above the weeds, but when he heard Ahadi coming to the savanna and starting to call his name, he just ran in the direction that he had seen Taka run to last.

Eventually, Mufasa made it to the waterhole. He sadly looked down into the water, not knowing where to turn to find his brother. He saw his reflection, and began to take a few laps of the water, but the ripples that his tounge made shifted his reflection, and instead of seeing himself, he saw Ahadi. Angry at his father, he jumped in to attack the image, but as the water soaked into his fur and weighed him down, he realised that he was in the deep parts of the water hole. He didn't know how to swim, and his paws didn't touch!!!

Frantically, he pawed everywhere, trying to keep his head above water. But he didn't dare call out for help. He would rather drown than have his father find him and take him home if Taka wasn't there. Finally, he couldn't paddle anymore, and his head went under. Feeling something grab his scruff, back, and tail, he was hoisted out of the water, at the feet of Zira, Sarabi, and Taka.

Coughing, Mufasa felt relieved that one, he was alive, and two, his brother was here.

"Mufasa!!!" Taka exclaimed. "What were you thinking??? You know that no one our age is old enough to swim!!!"

In between deep breaths, Mufasa asked, "then....how did you....save me?" The three cubs exchanged nervous glances, and Zira spoke up.

"Funny thing about Outlanders, we're taught to swim at two weeks old." she awkwardly laughed. "Sarabi and I were playing just a little ways from here, when we saw Taka. He didn't look too happy, so we started talking together-" Taka gave her a shut up about that look, and she quickly finished with, "-but then we heard a splashing noise, a big splashing noise, and went to see what it was. We got here just in time. I jumped in and grabbed you by your scruff, then swam back up. Sarabi grabbed your tail, and Taka grabbed your back, and we hauled you out."

Mufasa carefully stood up. "Sarabi, Zira, how do you two know each other???"

"Same as Zira and Taka." Sarabi answered. "We were out exploring one day, and I got lost. I met Zira at the water hole, and she agreed to get me back to the pridelands. We've been friends ever since. Sometimes, we even play with Sarafina. Mother, Johari, and Huduma don't mind."

"Wish I could say the same about father." Taka sighed.

It was silent for a moment, when Mufasa spoke again. "Well, Taka and I are gonna go to the grasslands. See you guys later."

"Bye!!" Zira and Sarabi said at the exact same time. Mufasa motioned for Taka to follow him, and they made their way to the grasslands. It was a silent walk for a while. Mufasa tried to break the silence.

"Look, Taka..." He started. "What...what father said isn't right. I don't know why he can't just accept that you're his son, too, like mom."

"He only sees me for the outlander inside of me."

Mufasa was instantly confused. "What?" They stopped and sat in the middle of the grasslands.

"Mother told me earlier." He layed down and crossed his paws, looking at them. "She was an outlander as a cub. Not even father knows. Huduma was her best friend." He shook his head. "Father sees me as the outlander that I am. The...the nothing that I am in his eyes."

"Taka, stop talking that way. Neither you, nor Zira, nor any outlander is a nothing. I just don't see why dad can't see that. Tell you what..." Taka looked up at his brother, who layed down on his back. Taka did the same, and he looked up at the sky. "Dad told me earlier, that those stars up there, they are the great kings of the past. One day, when dad has to join the great kings of the past, I'll become king." Taka rolled his eyes, and Mufasa spoke again. "And on that day, I promise, I'll lift the decree that separates the pridelanders from the Outlanders." Taka smiled, but then, he went deep into thought. Sitting up, he asked Mufasa,

"Mufasa?"

"Yeah?"

"We'll...we'll always be there for each other, right?"

Mufasa smiled. "Of course we will." He sat up next to his little brother. "I promise."

But little did Mufasa know, out of those two promises, he couldn't keep either of them