Chapter 1

I glanced down from my bedroom window in awe at the scene that was happening below. There was a truck full of stuff, and people were carrying it into the house next to mine. That house has been empty for a year now ever since the man next store decided to move out. The last time I saw him he was on a bed with wheels and was being carried out of his house. I was jealous. Not because of the bed with wheels. I was jealous because he got to go in an ambulance. I've always wanted to ride in one, but I haven't so far. I guess that Mr. Carry like that ambulance so much because he never came back to the house.

"Hattie," called my dad as I heard him walk up the stairs. I tore my eyes from the window to see him standing there with a smile on his face.

"Are you watching the new neighbors move in?" he questioned as he raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah, they look interesting," I said as I motioned out the window.

"I bet," he said as he leaned against the door frame. "How about some lunch?"

The mention of food triggered something in my seven year old brain and a smile spreads across my face. I hopped down off the chair I was using to look and began to skip towards my dad, my blond pigtails bounced too.  I grabbed my fathers hands as he led the way down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"How PB&J sound?" he asked as he used his free hand to open the pantry.

"Yeah," I laughed as I let go of his hand and went to go side on one so the kitchen stools.

"So," my dad starts saying as he prepares the food. "I talked to the new neighbors this morning."

"So?" I ask as I focused on the food.

My dad couldn't help but laugh. "So. They have a son your age."

"Really?" I asked. The thought of having a friend next door to play with intrigued me

"Yeah. His name is...um...I forget his name but you two will get along," Dad said. "Actually his parents will send him over in a bit to play with you while they help the movers."

"When?" I ask as I stuff my face with food.

"In a little bit," he says, biting into his sandwich. "Your mom invited them over tonight for dinner as a little welcome to the neighborhood."

"Where is mom?" I asked as I looked around.

"She had to go pick up a few things from the office," dad tells me.

"When will she be back?" I ask as I swallow the last piece of my sandwich.

"In about an hour. She has to go pick up things for dinner."

The doorbell suddenly rang, and I felt a surge of excitement rush through me. My father got up first and I trailed behind him as we went to the door.

My dad opened the door before I got there but I could see two adults standing there in the outside doorway. I watched them talk from a distance. I couldn't hear them, but I bet they were talking about boring adult stuff.

My dad turned, his eyes looking for me until he saw me peeking next to the wall. "Come here, Hattie. Say hi to the Kings."

I walked towards the two adults I didn't know. The first one I noticed was the woman. She had blond hair, like me. She wore a white button down shirt and dark blue jeans. Her outfit was completely different from my mother, who always wore pantsuits. The man looked like the complete opposite. He had dark shaggy hair that fell into his eyes. The man dressed like my father did when he didn't have work. Dark jeans and a t-shirt.

"Hi Hattie," the woman smiled brightly when she saw me. "I'm Emily. Oh my, what a beautiful young lady you are."

"Thank you," I said softly as I stayed by my father's side.