That'll Be The Day

The rest of the week went by just like Tuesday. I idly sat by as my classmates presented their projects. However, within that hour each day that I watched partners smiling over what they had accomplished together, I began writing my closing paragraph. So, when Friday rolled around, I had completed the project Rider and I had spent so much time on. I decided that morning that I was going to show the rest of the class just what we had done together.

As the final group took their seats, I gathered up my papers.

"Alright, well, I believe that concludes presentations so-"

"Excuse me, Mr. McDaniel," I said, "May I present?"

"I suppose so," he replied with reserve, "Only if you really want to,"

"I do."

"Alright then, the class is yours."

I gathered up my work and walked to the front of the classroom. I cleared my throat and the class fell silent with everyone's eyes on me. Just before I started, the classroom door swung open. One of the guys that sat near me came shuffling in with a careless expression and bland folder in his hands.

"You're late, Mr. Denvers," Mr. McDaniel reprimanded.

"Yeah, I know," the boy said, "There're signings going on in the gym, and coach wanted to hold the team for the ceremony."

"Wonderful, but you still need a pass. Do continue Ms. Harper."

The presentation went well. I was only interpreted once as another jock came in, but nobody really took any notice. I ran off the research essay, rattling off facts and statistics. It was boring to me, and I didn't need to see the dazed looks of my classmates to know they felt the same way. When I reached my closing paragraph, I let out a shaky breath as I stilled my jittery hands.

"French fries and milkshakes," I began, "Two foods good in their own natures, but an unlikely duo for a combination. Saltiness covered in creamy sweetness seems like a messy and doomed recipe, however, the pair come together to make something entirely different from what they had separately. This is how love works.

Two people as opposite as sugar and salt can come together to make something: a new and unexpectedly amazing relationship. Now, this relationship doesn't spring up from the subconscious nor through simple conversation. It takes time and effort to find that amazing relationship between two people.

So love, from an ethical standpoint, is not something that just happens in our society. Love is like the biggest project you've ever had. You create theories on what should happen, work hard to get there, then, at the last second, everything changes. You find a different theory, and as illogical and time-consuming as it may seem, you test it anyway ... And, it ends up being the best decision you've ever made."

My voice cut out as I finished, but it was barely noticeable. I drew in a deep breath and smile, and the class clapped in unison. Just then, the door opened again, as another wrestler snuck into the class under the cover of the applause.

"Very nice, Ms. Harper," Mr. McDaniel said, "Alright, that concludes the presentations. Congratulations to you all, you have the rest of the period to yourself."

I let out my breath and walked back to my seat, opening a book to read as the class engaged in happy chatter. Across the room, the door opened and closed.

"You're late," Mr. McDaniel's announced, not looking up from his book, "You better have a pass."

"Come on, Teach, you know me better than that."