Chapter 51

Third person pov

After hugging Yoshino and crying it out for a good five minutes, Arron muttered out a thank you, an apology, and then jumped away from Yoshino like the woman was a white, hot flame. The Nara wasn't even fazed when she darted off. She knew the girl would probably have a panic attack, but as much as she wanted to comfort her, it was clear Arron wanted to work through this in her own way. She just wondered why she was trying so hard all of a sudden.

She sat in Shikamaru's room, on his bed, holding the blankets to her chest like they'd protect her. She took deep breaths, sobbing into it. Trexx didn't even dare to look at the lamp in fear of upsetting Arron more. Instead, he sat by Arron, large arms wrapped around her. Somehow, the coolness of them felt good to Arron. 

"Da?" Arron whispered. She missed Shikamaru. She missed him so hard it hurt. She knew she had to be strong, but she couldn't help it. She wished he was here. The confidence she'd gathered up for herself had diminished completely, leaving her a wallowing, no-good heap.

"Da." Trexx grumbled, because even he could tell that Arron had done good.

~

"Shikamaru, you need to focus." Ino said. They'd gotten their two scrolls, so now all they had to do was make it to the tower without dying. God, it had been a hard couple of days. Choji had run out of chips within the first hour, which was a problem in and of itself, but Shikamaru had become a whole new person. He was distracted, yet not at the same time.

"I am focused." Shikamaru hissed. He was determined not to die, and to get back to Arron as soon as he possibly could. He'd left the house the morning the second part of the exam started, and after only being gone for five minutes, he'd already began to miss her. He was just as attached to her as she was to him. He scowled.

"Yeah, and I weight less than Ino." Choji muttered. He always got a little sassy when hungry. "I'm starved."

"You're always starved." Ino snapped, a little louder than she intended. She lowered her voice. "Look, you'll get back to Arron. I'm sure she's fine."

"Yeah." Shikamaru said, despite his racing thoughts. Had she eaten since he'd last seen her? Was she drinking water? Sleeping? What did she do when she had nightmares? He wasn't there to protect or comfort her anymore. He feared his parents would try to take this chance to swoop in and talk to her. He wasn't there to shield her, and he hated that. He never should have taken this stupid exam.

"Shikamaru." Ino said. His head snapped to her. "She's fine. She's stronger than you think she is!"

"I know how strong she is. But what if she needs something, and she doesn't know how to ask ?What if she gets hurt and doesn't tell anyone?" Shikamaru hissed, wiping at his muddy cheek. He only succeeded in smearing the dirt. "I need to get back to her."

"You can't baby her forever, Shikamaru." Choji said.

"He's right. And besides, if Arron needs something, she'll say. She's a lot... she's a lot bolder than you think." Ino tried not to laugh as she thought back to the hot springs. Of all the things she'd expected from Arron, it wasn't that. But now she had a pretty good idea of what the girl was really like when she wasn't... well, stuck in her own fear. 

"Whatever." Shikamaru grumbled grumpily. It's not like they actually knew Arron. Not like he did, anyway. They didn't love her or anything. He was just in a bad mood, honestly. This whole thing was a drag. A troublesome, troublesome drag. He'd never felt so damn worried in his life! What if his dad scared her? What if his mom tried to talk to her? What if Inoichi showed up?!

"Shikamaru, you're doing the thing again." Choji noted blandly.

"Slow your breathing." Ino hissed. "Let's go. Last thing we need is you having a panic attack in the middle of this accursed forest!"

~

Arron saw Yoshino a few more times that day. She made it a point to eat three meals and drink water regularly, and not hold her pee for long amounts of time just to avoid human contact. She'd also tried to always make eye contact with Yoshino and offer some form of a smile. She still felt immense fear towards the woman, despite knowing she was good, just like Shikamaru. She felt that towards all adults.

She ate a small lunch, and a small dinner, but it was better than nothing. After talking so much earlier this morning, she didn't feel like she'd want to talk ever again. Staying quiet all her life didn't seem healthy, but it's what she wanted to do. She knew that wasn't an option, but for a little while, she pretended it was. 

Arron missed Shikamaru. That evening, sitting on his bed, she cried about it again. She was trying to hold strong. To wait patiently for his return. But she just... missed him so much. She wondered if he missed her too. Or maybe he was glad to have a break, finally. She wouldn't be all too surprised if that was the case. A part of her would be relieved to hear that he was glad to have a break, because at least them that would mean he wasn't upset being in that forest for five days.

"Do 'ou think I'll 'ave a nightmare?" Arron whispered out that night. It was the first peep out of her mouth since thanking Yoshino and Shikaku Nara, and apologizing. She wished she could pay them somehow. She knew they'd never take the money. They were good like that, but no matter how much she told herself that, it never worked. She still felt fear.

Trexx offered a noncommittal shrug in response, but Arron took that as a yes. She always had nightmares, especially when Shikamaru wasn't here. Shikamaru was good and cared, and she trusted him. And that? That was everything.