10 Remember the Name Molly, Okay?

Iris~~

"I'm going to be? Do I not have a choice?"

He steals a glance at me before turning left onto a stretch of road with brick townhomes on either side. "Would you rather I'm honest and say no or lie to you and say yes?"

"Twenty minutes ago, you told me I was on my own and shoved me out your door."

"And now we're both back together. I think it's a sign."

I settle back in my seat, holding back a grumble. My whole life my Expiration Date has caused problems for me. Now in this new life, could it actually cause problems for the Society? It's always been a way for them to ruin me. Not a weapon I can use against them. "Where are we going anyway?"

"To see someone who owes me."

"Someone you're blackmailing?"

"Yes."

I roll my eyes. "Because anyone who is being blackmailed is obviously loyal."

He parallel parks in front of one of the townhomes. A dark green door is the only immediately noticeable difference from the other houses.

"Can we trust them?"

Erik unbuckles. "Everyone can be trusted. You just can't give them more than they can be trusted with." He lifts the console and grabs a screwdriver. "I have to get the license plate off." But still why did he already have a screwdriver in his car?

I step out of the car after him, and while he's taking care of the license plate, I stare at the green door. Is this person even expecting us? Unless Erik contacted him from his bomb shelter as Colton called it, then this person can't be.

License plate in hand, Erik climbs the steps to the door and knocks. The door opens, revealing a young man on the other side. His dark eyes widen as he takes in Erik, and shaking his head, his brown hair catches the sunlight, making parts of it look red.

"No. You can't be here."

"I'm cashing in on that favor you owe."

"You've had eight years to do that, Erik."

"I just need one night. A night to figure out my next step."

"I can't."

"Think where you'd be if I hadn't helped you."

After a frown at Erik, his eyes drift to me. "Who's this?"

"Brydan Salvatore, meet Iris Levine."

Brydan steps back, opening the door wider. "Come in." His eyes slip to Erik. "Please." The please is rather reluctant.

Erik lets me step in first. I don't know if it's because he was raised a gentleman or because he has an ulterior motive. The house is styled in a modern fashion with 3D art pieces in black and white and that are nothing more than odd shapes. Adjacent to the front door, an electric fireplace is built into the wall, the centerpiece of a gray living room set. A metal staircase circles up to the second floor.

Brydan shakes my hand, and as our eyes meet, he tilts his head, a slight smile on his lips. "I see why you're with her," he says to Erik. "Her eyes are just like Molly's."

Erik doesn't answer, instead, turning and walking up the stairs.

"One night," Brydan calls after him. He sighs after Erik is out of sight.

Colton mentioned Molly. I have the same eyes as this girl? Is that why Erik asked me if I was wearing contacts? Don't a lot of people have the same eyes?

Brydan smiles at me weakly. "Let me show you to your room."

"Who's Molly?"

Placing a hand on the banister of the stairs, he looks upward. Seeming satisfied that Erik is out of hearing range, he says, "His girlfriend. She died about three years ago."

My heart clenches. I can't imagine the pain it must have caused him to lose someone like that. I do know that was the other orphans' reason for leaving me. Horrible reasoning though. Even if something is going to end terribly, if you love someone, you see things through.

"How old was she?"

"They were both seventeen."

I thought nineteen was young. But seventeen? I wrap my arms around myself.

Brydan steps onto the stairs. "I'd be careful around him. Don't"—another glance upward—"trust him."

I follow him up the stairs. The way they're shaped makes it so I can always see his face that's drawn together in anger or is it confusion?

"You can't trust anyone in this world," he continues. "Not even your closest friends." His shoulders sag, and I wonder what us staying here is costing him.

Thank you for any votes and comments!

Instagram: @mikaelabender

#Bookstagram: @oflightsandfaeries

Twitter: @MikaelaBender

TikTok: @MikaelaBender