Chapter 9: Just Give In

"Move it ladies!" I could hear the Sergeant's voice force as I ran around the dusty, dry track on an open field. I pushed through the frost of the morning with the dry air stinging my face. The weather was over casted with clouds filled with water that it would let drop out only minutes at a time. My feet were fast as I fled ahead of the others. I always did like to run. It felt good to relieve stress and burdens through the exercise. Usually I would be focused on my run, but today was different. All I could think about was Ann's kiss, and how I needed to see her again. Last night was exactly how Frank said it would be; she got jealous and she kissed me. Well, alright, maybe she didn't think much about the kiss, but she still kissed me when she didn't have to. That counts for somethin' don't it? Yes. it does.

I guess I was too deep in thought about Ann, because I didn't even realize what I was doin' until the Sergeant called my mistake out viciously. "Presley!" he shouted, "Where in the Sam hell are you goin'?" I snapped back to reality and stopped running. I was running away from the track and veering off to the streets. "Get back on the damn track, Presley!" I blinked blankly and then jogged back over to the track that was filled with hard hustling men.

"Come on, Elvis..." I told myself, "Pay attention." And that wasn't even how bad things got that day. I was so distracted that I couldn't focus on anything. I was completely thrown off. When the other soldiers and I were in line for coarse running, I was as zoned out as I had ever been. But how could I not have been? Ann was so beautiful and she actually cared about me dancin' and hangin' around with other women. She liked me; Ann liked me.

"Presley!" the shout snapped be back into reality once more. The Sergeant was in my face with veins popping from his forehead, he was so angry. "Repeat what I just said!" he forced. I swallowed dryly and tried my best to think back to a few moments ago. What were we talkin' about? I tried hard to think but nothing came to mind. I opened my mouth to make something up, but nothing came out and I ended up just closing my mouth. I looked over at Jerry Lee who stood beside me and he gave me a questioning look, to which I replied with a nod of my head. That was all it took to tick off the boss man. "You hear that, ladies?" the Sergeant shouted; backing away from me and looking at the multiple rows of men, "Nothing. Presley here wasn't listenin'. And what happens when we don't listen?"

"Ten rounds on the War Course, Sir!" All of the soldiers shouted in unison. The Sergeant looked at me and gave a sickening scowl. "Ten rounds on the War Course." he repeated as if confirming their words to be true. "Get goin', Presley." Without complaining - out loud anyway - I ran off to the War Coarse. This so called War Coarse consisted of mud crawling, rope swinging, multiple balance beams (which I never understood), climbing ten foot thick wooden walls, and running through an ice cold pool only to start the track over again. The sad part about it was that we had to do it shirtless, so the water was even more freezing. The bosses said that it would make us feel privileged when we were at war and got to carry heavy clothes on our backs. We only used it whenever we didn't follow orders. We use to use it all the time on the new comers, but I guess people we decided to use a different more easy course to build up muscle faster.

I let out a rough breath before tugging off my thin white shirt and starting the course. If there was any hell on earth, this would be it.

*Ann's POV*

"Now, just set back and I'll wrap up your leg." I told the army man who was shaking at the stitches in his leg. The idiot had accidentally shot himself in the thigh while the soldiers practiced their gun rounds on targets. I found it quite ironic, but he was a first class soldier; a new bee. He didn't know much, and obviously he's never shot a gun before. The poor thing.