4. Derek-Tactics.

04 // Derek - Tactics.

Wren

I stepped back, managing to trip over the decapitated body. I mentally cursed my clumsiness, all the while trying to keep down the puke rising up my throat.

"Oh, God Wren. Don't look so scared; we merely need your help," Garrett and his creepy girlfriend, Violet, both glanced at each other, smirking.

"Why me?" I hadn't meant to sound so weak, or my voice to sound as squeaky as a child's, but things never seemed to go my way either. I suppose I should have thought through my question; I could have just been at the wrong place at the wrong time, and they probably picked randomly.

"A freshman just happened to stumble over a dead body? You know something, Sommers," Violet's eyes were basically popping out of her head, inching closer and closer with every menacing word, and I failed to point out that she too was a freshman.

Garrett did pull her back when she got too close, and though it allowed me to breath a little easier, the words that came out of his mouth after didn't. "That, and, well, we've heard Witches have quite the acting ability."

I raised my eyebrows. Finding my voice, I seethed, "I hate to disappoint, but I'm not a Witch, so leave me alone."

I'm pretty sure no one expected my voice to come out so strong, so determined, but even Garrett's eyebrows raised in surprise. He got himself together quite quickly, his face returning to an emotionless mask.

"Then let me put it this way; you help us, and we won't hurt your little friend, Liam."

-

All day my mind had been telling me not to believe a word that come out of Violet and Garrett's mouth. I knew they were bad people, and not to be trusted, but if trusting them meant keeping Liam safe, i'd say yes again in a heart beat.

Even if it involves what I'm about to do.

I keep reminding myself that I'm not a bad person for this, that i'll be saving more lives for this one, but the guilt was still there. Oh, how it was there. My stomach churned as I sat in the driver's seat, gripping the steering wheel awfully tight.

"Why aren't you driving? Oh God, I can't drive. This will screw the plan up, and no one can blame me," I took deep breaths, trying to get the words out. They were to Garrett, who was in the back, and if he wasn't in this whole murdering people league, I think he could actually have been a pretty good friend. But he's still the bad guy, and nobody likes the bad guys. No matter how good looking they are.

"Calm down, Wren. It's just a few metres, anyways, and it's not like you'll be driving her anywhere. You know, since we're going to k-"

"Do not finish that sentence." I hissed, refusing to look at him. The guilt was becoming overwhelming, and as I saw a panicked figure emerge from the side of the bus, I was certain I was going to vomit. But, I held it in.

I looked back at Garett biting my lip. Seeing my nerves, he asked, "are you ready?"

I stopped the urge to point out what a stupid question that was, because I was so not ready. I just shook my head, and he shrugged. "Drive."

Slowly, I eased my foot onto what I hoped was the accelerator. The car lurched forward, as the school bus zone came into a clearer view. A girl, who looked no older than, was running towards, and away from creepy Violet. I was so scared; not for me, but for her, because I knew there would a very slim chance she'd be making it out alive tonight. As she dodged a few cars, I took that as my cue to slow the car to a halt.