Chapter One Hundred And Thirty Five - With Great Power...

The soldiers and guards at the gate were in an uproar when they had realised that the suspect had escaped the confines of his cell. There was no signs that he had forced his way out, no signs that he had been assisted. They were aware that his affiliation had been darkness, but were also aware that his abilities were limited. They did not suspect that he might be able to use them in some way, but even them, it was not as if they could place magic suppressants upon his wrists. They also remained bitter that they could not spare men to hunt him down, the guards had their duties and the soldiers had theirs, the gate needed to be guarded and the magi apprentices needed to be protected. However the veteran soldier was still determined to state firmly everything that had occurred on this journey, from the rapidly encroaching foliage and lack of man power to deal with it to the two strangers that had felled guards for still unknown reasons.

Elyas returned with the magi apprentices towards the city and the mage halls, his usual quiet self. No one was any the wiser that he had spoken to and arranged a plan with the fleeing man, who he had learnt was an Assassin. He was careful not to allow his eyes to wander to frequently to the man who had been the pair's paid target, his heart pitying him. Five could not tell him why he was supposed to die. He did not stand out beyond the other soldiers, he was not poorly skilled nor superior of technique. In fact, he was quite a plain man, simple, well liked for his easy going personality. He treated his comrades equally, though showed respect to the veteran soldiers and even to the magi apprentices. He was a good man, but Elyas could not say that he was a great man. The boy sighed. If this world was similar to when he was a prince, he would likely say that the soldier either had upset a personage of importance or that he had somehow obtained something that someone else wanted.

He dismissed his wandering thoughts, they were not serving him well and his task now was simply to bide his time and wait until he could reunite with Five and hopefully they both could locate Seven, who Yang reassured him was still alive and well. It was at risk of failing his mission that he had let Five go alone, but he felt that if he was to disappear also, there would be nothing holding the soldiers back from seeking them both. Five and Seven had created no real issues with their antics, in fact the soldiers and guards that had lost to them might train harder now so not to lose to others in the future. No one had lost their lives, although the soldiers believed the younger of the pair was lost to the forest. Apart from salvaging pride, they could not justify hunting Five alone at this time at the expense of returning the apprentices home safely.

Patrick also remained quiet this whole time. He feared not the retribution of his 'rival' but the poison of the little viper that had become attached to Elyas and seemed intent on protecting him. The girls in the group frequently sent coy glances his way, not wanting to get too close due to his little protector, but also willing the clearly powerful young apprentice to notice them. Only the chatty, ginger youth Lucil, and the older boy Philip treated him the same as they had on the journey out.

In truth, Elyas thought nothing of it as he fell into his familiar bed within the dorm that evening to enjoy past memories within dreams of his beloved. It was only the following day, when he was summoned to speak with Teacher Exalos in the teacher's conference room that he had an inkling that something might be off.

"You called for me, sir?" Elyas said softly as he entered the room after knocking upon the door. His eyes widened as he saw that the Teacher was not alone, several other Teachers and Elders were with him in that room. Elyas cursed inwardly even as he retained a quiet, unsuspecting expression.

"Good afternoon to you Elyas," the Teacher said, indicating that the boy should sit in the available chair. Elyas nodded, obediently taking the seat. "We have been made aware that there were unexpected circumstances on the surface that took the expedition unaware, although there was no particular harm done." Elyas kept still, not wanting his bitterness that they would not acknowledge the loss of his beloved one, but then he knew why this was. Seven was an unknown and not one of those sent to the surface by the kingdom's King and council.