Chapter 1

"The Demon King was defeated!"

At long last the bloody war had come to an end. Not even a day has passed, the news spread fast and far like the wildfire throughout the cultivation world.

People would gossip about the victory of the righteous sects at every corner of the village. It was the festival season, so their hearts were filled with tremendous joy when celebrating on this happy news...

"Who would have thought that the great Demon King would choose to run away! I heard he escaped with his army leaving no trace behind." a villager scoffed.

"Serves him right! He dared to mess with the righteous sects and this is the result!" another added slapping on a table.

"I never expected the demon who once brought down an entire sect to topple over. Is he really so powerful like the rumors suggested? I don't think so!" an old man with a white mustache ridiculed.

"Isn't it a little strange? I still can't believe he ran away. Was he heavily wounded? ...Remember the artifacts he possessed when destroying the Jin clan? They were capable of wiping off humankind! Why didn't he use it this time?" a young woman voiced out as she served the food.

"That's right, it does sound strange. We all know that it wasn't easy for the righteous sects to fight this powerful demon. He can handle hundreds of people with a flick of his fingers. It isn't a surprise if he was able to wipe out this entire village! So don't be too excited. Even without the power of the Yin sword his cultivation level had already surpassed most of the veteran masters of the righteous path. He won't be gone for too long. I'm sure he will come back for revenge! By then, he would be even more stronger! I hope the Yang sword chooses its master very soon. Only then can we rest in peace!" a middle-aged lady shook her head in concern.

"You women worry too much! If once defeated, then of course he would be defeated again. He wouldn't be the only one to become stronger in the future. And with the help of the Yang sword he won't be able to stand a chance against our heroes! We better dig him a grave soon!" laughed the villagers as they cheered and gulped down the alcohol.

Just when everyone thought they could celebrate the victory to their hearts content, an ear piercing scream of a woman was heard. Everyone had their hearts in their mouths due to shock. Once recovered, they instinctively ran towards the direction of the voice to witness the gathered crowd at the number one tea house of the village.

The said woman in her twenties was wailing holding onto a bloodied body, "Why!? What have we done to deserve this god!? Give him back! Give my innocent husband back! Please don't do this to me!"

One villager had his eyebrows narrowed at this sight, "That was the husband and wife who visited my store two weeks ago before their wedding!"

Witnessing the horrendous sight of the man's mutilated body the people were now covered in cold sweat as they whispered to one another.

"Another murder? Impossible! I thought it was already over after the rule was set!"

"Who would have thought such disaster would befall the Gu family of all people at a time like this."

"Even the tea house owner fell ill after hearing the news of their only son's death. He's now in a critical condition."

"I heard the wife was also 8 days pregnant. What an unlucky child to be born without a father. This must be a curse, what else!"

It wasn't the first time this happened... Two months ago a few men had gone missing and murdered mysteriously yet brutally on the mountain at the back of the village. Every murder took place during the night fall. Therefore, the nights were said to be very dangerous in this village. So the villagers avoided going up the mountain after dusk. Since the rule had been set by the chief of the village, about a month ago the murders instantly stopped.

However, it seems that the killer didn't plan to let the villagers live in peace for too long.

This time the corpse was found in a horse stable not the mountain. This was the first time the murder had taken place outside the mountain and also during the day time.

The young master had gone to clean the stable early morning and wasn't back. So few of the servants of the Gu family had gone in search for the man only to find him dead.

It also cannot be anyone else other than the murderer who was responsible for the killings at the mountain, because the pattern of slaughter was exactly the same.

First, they had used many methods to torture the person until they were almost skinless and unrecognizable. There was one other thing the crazy murderer would do that would cause fright to even a man with a stouthearted soul. The murderer would tear off the sexual organ of the victims.

Next, they pierced the heart three times with a sharp object. These three dots form a triangle which was connected together through blood that was similar to a seal.

After that, the corpse would be stripped out of their clothes and laid naked on the cold ground.

You can imagine just how much the victim had to suffer before their death.

One thing was certain, it was not safe anymore to live in this village if this keeps continuing. Well that was if someone didn't deal with the murderer soon.

Even if the village chief had informed about the matter two months ago there was no one who came to deal with this issue. Due to the siege, all the sects were busy with fighting the demons, so no one had time to pay attention to other matters. The chief could only take a temporary precaution and prohibit people from walking into the mountains at night. But now since the matter had gone out of hand he had to take an immediate action in order to ensure the safety of the people.

This village was pretty far from the other sects. Though there were rumors about the GuangluQing Sect disciples roaming at a nearby village for evidence to an unsolved case. This was because once the war had come to an end, the sects had resumed to their daily duties.

Immediately, the village chief sent a message through a guard to inform the incident to these disciples.

GuangluQing Sect is a prominent sect best known for its intelligence and performance in the cultivation of martial arts. They have produced vast amounts of prodigal cultivators to the world. They have been said to have intense training on both their skills and temperament. This sect was highly valued and respected throughout their history which was one reason this sect stood out and had a stable position in the cultivation world unlike other sects.

It was also the same sect that led the siege to eliminate the Demon King. Including GuangluQing sect there were altogether five powerful sects followed by other small sects who all worked together to bring down the cruel demon ruler.

Anyway it seemed like the village was lucky to have these cultivators investigate this case.

.......

At the other end of the village, a man who wore a straw hat which was enclosed in a white veil leisurely walked along the busy street listening to all the gossips of the recent war. He was dressed in complete white giving off the feeling of an enchanting deity. Even though his face was hidden underneath the silky veil, people couldn't help but halt their steps to have a glance at his charming figure. There was one thought circulating in all their minds- I wonder what kind of a beauty is hidden under that veil.

Don't forget to vote and drop a comment guys. Let me know how you feel about the first chapter 😇