Vitamin C

"I'm not ready for winter." I muttered under my breath as I shut my front door behind me. The weather had taken a drastic drop in temperature. It was barely 40 degrees on this Monday morning and my car was covered with frost.

Chris had left for Los Angeles last Thursday the day after Halloween. His audition was on Friday and it had gone so well they asked him to stay and have a chemistry read today. He wasn't sure when he would be flying back and had apologized profusely about it. I waved it off and told him to do what he had to do, obviously. But in the back of my mind that little nagging voice kept saying 'this is how it will be to date him. He'll always be gone. Making out with gorgeous women, partying with Hollywood gold. He will leave you behind.' And it worried me a little that he was so concerned about apologizing to me about doing his job. He was at the height of his career and I didn't want him jeopardizing that because of me. We were only dating, he certainly didn't need my approval for anything.

Work was long and by lunch time I had a headache the size of Texas. After lunch my throat felt like it was on fire and by 4pm I was burning up with a fever. I pushed myself till 5:00 when I went home and climbed in bed. I had almost fallen asleep when my phone buzzing woke me up. I really, really didn't want to answer it, but I hadn't heard from Chris all day and the hope that it might be him forced me to sit up and pick my phone up.

"Hello?" I croaked. I tried to clear my throat but started to cough. How unbelievably sexy.

"Babe? You ok?" Chris's voice was full of concern on the other end.

"I have a cold." I winced.

"Sounds like more than a cold."

"I'll be ok." I snuggled back into my blankets. "How'd today go?"

"It went really well. I'm pretty sure I have the part. I have to go to one more reading on Wednesday."

"That's great!!" I coughed and tried not to feel sad that he wouldn't be home for another few days.

"It is. I wasn't sure about it but I'm pretty excited now after the chemistry read."

I felt a twinge of jealously but immediately pushed it to the side.

"I'm glad." I said sincerely.

"I miss you like crazy though." He lowered his voice some. "I would much rather be in bed next to you."

I sneezed followed by a cough, "I wish you were to."

Chris laughed. "Get some rest so when I get home this weekend we can spend it in bed for other reasons."

"So you'll be home this weekend?"

"Yeah I just booked my flight to come home Friday. I'd come Thursday but I made plans with some friends out here. I will be at your house when you get home from work Friday though I promise."

"I can't wait."

_______________________

"You're still not better?" Kirsten asked. It was finally Friday and I was on my way home from work where Chris would be waiting for me.

"I'm so-so. I just didn't want to go to the doctor."

"And you didn't take any days off from work to rest either." She pointed out.

"No, I have a huge case load. I'm swamped." I turned on to my street and began to smile when I saw Chris's car in my driveway. "Look I love you but you're going to have to scold me later. I'm pulling into my house and I haven't seen my man in over a week."

"Of course. Bye." She laughed.

I couldn't park fast enough, get in the house fast enough, find him fast enough. My heart skipped a beat as I found him at the fridge grabbing a beer.

"Hi." I said softly.

He turned around shutting the fridge door with a huge grin on his face. "Hey! Come here." He set the beer down on the counter and opened his arms towards me. I crossed the kitchen as quick as I could and jumped into his arms. I wrapped my legs around his waist and kissed him like he had been at war for the past year.

"Wow." He swallowed as we pulled back.

"I really missed you." My voice shook.

"I can see that." He set me on the counter and pushed my hair from my face.

I studied his face for a minute before hugging him again inhaling his musky scent and squeezing him tight.

"How was LA?" I wanted to know.

"Lonely without you." He pulled back and gave me a lopsided grin.

"But the audition went well?"

"It went really well." His handsome features lit up.

"When will you know if you got the part?" I slid off the counter.

"I just got the call about 15 minutes ago....it's mine."

"It is?! Babe I'm so happy for you!" I hugged him again.

"Thank you!" He chuckled. "And filming doesn't start until late January, so I'll be here till then."

I felt the pit grow in my stomach. The one that never really goes away when I think about him returning to work.

"We get to spend Christmas together." I smiled. "Where will you be filming at?"

"New Orleans. And probably San Francisco."

"Oh." I looked away and slid past him towards the fridge to grab my own drink.

"I know that voice." He reached out grabbing me around the waist and pulled me back to him. "Do not let this upset you." He whispered in my ear. "You can come visit me on set." He forced me to turn around and look at him.

"Ok." I agreed before turning my head and coughing.

"And you're still sick." He frowned.

I shrugged. "I'm better."

"You just need a little bit of vitamin C."

"Vitamin C?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah Vitamin Chris." He gave me a dazzling smile before lifting me back up on the counter and tugged at my shirt. He lowered his head to my chest kissing it softly.

"I think Vitamin Chris is exactly what the doctor ordered." I lifted my arms and pulled my shirt off up over my head.

"Let's see if we can get you feeling better." He turned around so I could jump on his back and we headed to the bedroom.