1985

Cadence walked down the muggle road, pulling his sweater down over his hips. He pushed his wand further into his pocket and remained tense. This was the first time he had come to check on the baby. He was surpsised when Newt sent him out to do it. He shivered against the wind and made his way up to the house on the dark street. He pointed his wand at the door to the house.
"Alohamora," he whispered, pushing the door open. A small boy stood in the living room and turned to look at him.
"Who are you?" The child asked.
"I am Cadence. I've come to check on you." Cadence replied softly.
"Why?" The boy replied, tilting his head.
"To make sure you are happy." Cadence replied, just as soft.
The boy looked at Cadence confused.
"Are you hungry?" Cadence asked softly.
"Yes." The boy replied.
"Would you like to come with me?" Cadence asked, holding out his hand.
"I don't know." The boy admitted.
"What's your name?" Cadence asked.
"Harry. Harry Potter."
Cadence nodded and pulled his hand back.
"Do you want some food?" Cadence asked again.
"Yes, please" Harry replied.
"Come on," Cadence jerked his head to the door "Let's go get some food."

Cadence and Harry sat outside a nearby gas station eating premade sandwhiches and bags of chips. Harry took a long drink of his chocolate milk and Cadence smiled at the youbger child.
"How's school, Harry?" Cadence asked, picking up his crisps from the bag.
"It's okay. No one likes me there" Harry said, sadly.
"Why not?" Cadence asked.
"They're scared of Dudley. He makes everyone hate me." Harry replied, tears filling his eyes.
"Why don't you tell the teacher? Or your aunt and uncle?" Cadence asked, remembering the screaching woman.
"They don't care." Harry wiped his nose on his sleeve and Cadence frowned.
"Why no-" he was cut off by a beeping coming from his plastic watch. He frowned and set a new timer for 30 minutes and stood up. "Come on then, Harry. Time to go home."
"You'll come back though, won't you Cadence?"Harry asked, throwing away his trash "You'll come back for me?"
"Yes." Cadence replied.
"Promise?"
"I promise."

Cadence led Harry inside the house and pulled out his wand and pointed it at the boy.
"Are you leaving now, Cadence?" Harry asked, sadly.
"Yes." Cadence answered.
"When are you coming back?"
"Don't worry, Harry. I'll come back." Cadence replied.
"Good night, Cadence." Harry replied.
"Good night Harry." Cadence replied.
He waited until Harry turned around before he pointed his wand directly at the boy.
"Obliviate" he whispered and left the confused boy standing there as he snuck out and dissaparated.

"How did it go?"
"Well." Cadence replied training his eyes on the ground.
"And the boy?"
"He's fine, Uncle."
"Good." Newt patted Cadence's shoulder and turned to walk away.
"Why are we doing this?" The twelve year old asked, anger lacing through his words "Why can't you just let him be?"
"You'll understand when you are older." Newt said quietly.
"I want to understand now, Newt!" Cadence replied. "Why do we keep having to do this?"
"Enough!" Newt answered angrily.
Cadence looked at the old man angrily. Newt rubbed his forehead as if in pain and his whole statute deflated.
"Enough, Cadence..." He sighed "that's enough..."
Without another word Newt left the room, leaving a bitter twelve year old staring at him with hatred. Once out of his sight Cademce collapsed to his knees, tears filling his eyes as he heard Harry's voice filling his head.
"You'll come back though Right? You'll come back for me?"
Cadence felt his heart break for the child who he had betrayed and for tainting his soul when he ripped apart his memory. The most disgusting thing for Cadence was that he hurt the boy without even knowing the reason why and the fact that he would continue to do so for years to come and he had no idea why.