24: Everything is Good for Now

Ezra's view

I hear Avery's mom enter the room and walk over to her.

"How are you feeling, sweetie," her mom asks her.

"I'm good mom, don't worry about me," she responds quickly.

"It's my job as a mom to worry about you," replies Avery's mom. I wish my mom would be as caring.

My mom probably hasn't even noticed that I haven't come home yet. I could be gone for a week and she wouldn't come looking for me.

"Mom, I'm fine. I'm feeling much better," Avery assures her.

"Okay, okay, so you're not very sick and I don't need to worry about you getting another cold. However, I am worried about your social life. How are things going with Ezra?" her mom asks making me become more interested in the conversation.

"That sounds like you are more curious than worried," Avery says back.

"Okay, okay, I know I'm nosey. Now tell me what is going on between you and Ezra. Have you told her how you felt yet?" her mom asks.

Her mom knows about our feelings for each other? What the heck? Were we that obvious?

"Uh, yeah," Avery replies hesitantly.

"Oh my god, you did!" squealed her mom in happiness, "Tell me all about it. What happened? Does she feel the same way?"

"Mom, you know how incredibly weird it is to be having this talk with you, right?" Avery says.

"Yes I know, but I want to know what happened. I'm dying to know!" her mom begs.

"Okay, okay. Well we talked and it turns out that she kind of has feelings for me too," Avery explains. Kind of? I fucking love this girl, how dare she say kind of. I guess I have to prove to her just how much I love her later.

"Oh, Avery, that's wonderful to hear. You have been talking so much about her, it's about time you told her how you feel," her mom says making me smile so wide. She talks about me to her parents? That's so cute.

"All right, all right, I don't need you to talk about details of how I act," Avery jokes with her mom.

"I'm just so happy for you, Aves. Ezra is a sweetheart, and I can tell she really cares about you too," her mom adds. Avery's mom is very smart, she's a hundred percent right.

"Okay, I need to get back to work; your dad and I will see you in a couple of hours. Maybe one of these days you can invite Ezra over again," her mom suggests.

"Definitely," Avery replies.

I hear her mom walk out of the room and down the stairs. Avery comes over and opens the closet to let me out.

"That was so cute," I tease Avery.

"Oh god, you weren't meant to hear any of that, ugh," Avery whines while trying to cover her face with her hands.

"There's nothing to be embarrassed about, love. I love your family and I guess they love me too," I joke.

"They really do love you," Avery adds.

"Not as much as you love me though, right?" I ask grabbing her by the waist to pull her closer to me.

"You know I love you so much," Avery says.

"I know, but I just wanted to hear you say it again. I love you too," I say before leaning in to kiss her. I can't help but smile into the kiss, I'm just too happy not to.

We break away from each other and sit down on the bed. After a while of lying down next to each other cuddling, Avery adds, "Just a few more hours before you have to go to work."

I sigh and look at her tenderly, "I'm not going to work."

"Why not?" she asks.

"Because I quit," I reply calmly.

"Wait, what? Since when?" she asks worriedly.

"Since now. I'm going to call my boss and tell him that I quit," I add.

"Are you sure that's the right thing to do?" Avery asks.

"No, but I'm tired of working so much. I have some money saved up so I don't have to worry too much now. I'll get another job later if I need to, but right now I just don't want to get off this bed. I just want to be here with you and not worry about anything else," I explain to her.

Avery sighs and hold me tightly, but adds, "What about your mom though?"

"I don't know. I'll call my social worker later and tell her I'm done staying with my mom. She can deal with my mom," I reply.

"I'm sorry that everything has come to this," Avery says, "Everything is kind of shitty for you."

"No, not everything. One good thing came out of all this chaos. I got to meet you," I say right before kissing her.

"And you're starting to curse more and I find it really hot," I add between kisses.

Avery giggles, "Lately everything I do is hot for you."

"I'm not denying that. You have no idea about the things I want to do to you," I whisper in her ear before I kiss her cheek.

Avery widens her eyes in surprise and looks away to hide how flustered I have just left her. "But, I show you at a later time. Right now I just want to cuddle," I say as I wrap my arms around her.

"Thanks for agreeing to tutor me, it changed my life," I whisper.

"It changed my life too, it feels like nothing can go wrong now," Avery says scooting closer to me, "I love you."