2 7 | l i m i t e d

Song of the chapter: Neptune by Sleeping At Last

☙❦❧

EVELYN stood in front of the gigantic mirror propped up against a wall in Tiana's room.

She was in awe of her surroundings. Although she herself came from a wealthy family, it's not as if her parents had spoiled her even a little. The beauty of Tiana's room was something it'd take forever for her to get used to.

"Wow."

A laugh resonated from Tiana as she aimlessly flipped through a book she loved a little too much.

Salt to the Sea.

"It's nothing major," Tiana smiled with a shrug. She took a once-over of her room before furrowing her eyebrows, "I don't know maybe it is? I've always grown up around and in luxury so it's probably selfish to think it's not much even if it is. But it's all I've ever experienced so it's something I've always been used to."

Evelyn had to agree with Tiana. No truer words could be spoken.

She had grown up around the outskirts of luxury and so she's used to only having little to go by. It's all she's ever experienced after all.

"Let's find you something to wear!" Tiana bolted towards her massive closet while clapping her hands excitedly.

Meanwhile, Evelyn was as nervous as ever.

Maddox apparently wanted to take her to some diner he was obsessed with and he swore they made the best cinnamon rolls. He never explicitly stated it was a date and knowing him, Evelyn knew he was really just planning on making her eat a cinnamon roll.

Sadly she made the mistake of mentioning it to Tiana and she was dragged to get ready for a date that's never going to happen.

When Tiana squealed in excitement saying that Evelyn needed to have the best first date ever, Evelyn stilled. Now that the idea that Maddox might be taking her out on a date was engraved in her brain, she felt like kicking herself for the hope she had momentarily felt. As if Maddox would take her on a date. It didn't matter that the status of their friendship had changed to something more, no matter the fact that it was now public knowledge that Maddox and Evelyn were indeed something.

Evelyn saw the hesitancy in Maddox's eyes. When she pulled away from him, breathless and confused, when he told her he wasn't scared anymore.

If the flash of doubt didn't become clear in his eyes, maybe she would've believed him whole-heartedly. But the look in his eyes was unmistakably there and Evelyn had to refrain from cowering away, cowering away from his blatant lie.

It hurt a little, admitting that to herself was easy enough. Maybe it hurt a lot. Maybe the pain consumed her completely. She wasn't sure though. All she really felt was numb. Maybe she was used to the pain. Maybe that's why it didn't make her flinch.